Data doubler and Windows 7 install help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khanjr, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Khanjr macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I have a 2010 Mbp core 2 Duo and I want to install a data doubler with an SSD and Windows 7 but I need some clarification on how to go about installing windows on the second hard drive, I've been doing the typical research that comes with a venture such as this and all it's done is make me more confused about the procedure.
    Obviously I'll have to boot windows off a usb but I've read that windows 7 can't be booted off a usb (I dunno how true this is) and I've also read that I will need to install the drivers off the osx cd onto Windows 7 to get everything working right (this could be outdated info however) cause I'm running lion and the author who wrote that article was using Snow Leopard and apple doesn't mention anything like this in the bootcamp support.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know there's some people here that really know there **** and some who don't haha but any input is welcome.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You read it right, the only mac that will accept booting windows off of USB is the macbook air. You'll never get the USB containing your windows install to boot on your MBP.

As far as drivers go, if you actually take the time to read the instructions in bootcamp assistant, it's rather self-explanatory.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The easiest way to get windows on your machine it pull the drive and databoubler and then replace the optical drive back in there.

I'm not sure about the work arounds but I never got windows disc to boot up off my usb optical drive. Additionally getting windows on a USB thumb drive is an exercise in frustration.

Good luck

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

boot camp assistant will pompt you to make the drivers before even installing windows its part of the bootcamp setup

5. bimmeracer macrumors regular

Has anyone found a workaround using an external disk drive?