Data doubler preventing hard drive from spinning down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DisplacedMic, Jun 15, 2013.

1. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

hello all,
    I recently installed an OWC Data Doubler in the optical bay of 2008 MB running ML. I removed the stock hitachi HDD, put it in the optical slot and installed a new SSD in its place and made it my primary boot-up disk.

Currently there is exactly 0 data on the HDD, but it is constantly spinning. This is driving me nuts. I also suspect that this is what's preventing my laptop from sleeping when I close the lid.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    thanks!

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is quite often a spotlight issue in my experience.
    Exclude it from spotlight search especially if it is a NTFS partition (even if empty).
    Try reindexing spotlight.

Hardwaremonitoring software sometimes is also a problem. Disable all smart info monitoring in stuff like istat.

If all else fails. Writing scripts do unmount and mount the drive almost always works to get it to spin down. A bit tedious but also prevents the annoying spin up with a lag/freeze when the save dialog opens. For some reason OSX always spins up the drive with the dialog every-time even if in 100% of the times I end up saving to the SSD.

4. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you both for the reply - reading through the thread you linked now.
    i will also go ahead and rebuild spotlight.

in the meantime, please find attached the requested screenshot

Attached Files:

5. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

this is actually a great idea. no worse than having to eject the disk and remount it manually.

i will try the other suggestions and see if i can't figure this out first though.
    thanks mate!

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

When I used to have the same problem I had two scripts.
    Hit CMD+Space and "un" Enter which with Alfred running meant I could unmount and mount the drives with about 3 key strokes.

My problem fixed itself when I uninstalled all my NTFS write drivers and removed all NTFS partitions, going for exFAT instead. My problem was somehow related to NTFS I think, because now with an exFAT data disk only it works even with spotlight indexing.
    exFAT is technically not the best filesystem as it can corrupt more easily and doesn't offer the same fail safes HFS or NTFS has, but it works and Windows and OSX can read/write it without any issues. As I only store big files (movie mostly) a corrupted FAT table is unlikely to ever be a problem. It is not a great idea for any sort of small working data though.

7. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

In terminal type:

pmset disksleep 1

This will let the drive spin down more often.

EDIT: I see the problem fixed itself. Good deal.

8. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you so much - that fixed the spin-down problem!
    however it's still not sleeping when i close the lid so obviously this wasn't the culprit...

9. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

10. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

took the doubler out - still the same problem.
    this must be a mountain lion thing.

so annoying.

11. DisplacedMic thread starter macrumors 65816

not mountain lion - it's the SSD....apparently this is causing lid-close sleep issues for lots of people who upgrade their older macbooks.

there's obviously a way to "fix" this though as the MBAs all sleep when closed.

12. cuculu macrumors newbie

try my solution ..maybe it works for you to ..

same thing drove me crazy the last couple of weeks...
    i tried to find a solution on google .. to no avail ..
    and by chance i managed to find out what was the cause (at least for me)

Disabled Submit diagnostics & usage data to Apple .. and now the HDD is quiet.
    At least until i sleep/wake the machine, at which point at the moment i have to mount.unmount my drive to make it silent.
    But other than that ... it works like a charm. I need to learn how to make a scrip upon waking the machine to mount / unmount the hdd.

I discovered that the diagnostics were the cause for myself by chance because i had the service blocked with LittleSnitch, and each time the drive would start to spin, i would see Little Snitch blocking this service for diagnostics.

It's been two hours now, and no more spins .. as before each 10 min or so .. the drive would spin (unmounted).

hope this helps others who are getting crazy over that noise .. :))