Data Doubler (putting hard drive in super drive slot)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richy d, Jan 25, 2011.

1. richy d macrumors member

I recently bought a MBP that I am going to be using for music production.. in the past I have always used a desktop PC with 2 drives (one with operating system & the other to do the recording to etc).

I was thinking about doing this conversion: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/DDMB7K750G/

I was wondering if anybody has done this conversion of putting a hard drive in the place of the super drive... most importantly Im wanting to know if it affected the performance of the laptop in anyway (in terms of battery life, speed of operation etc).. the other option would be to use an external hard drive, but obviously I would get much better performance using sata internally

thanks in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are a few existing threads on this, which may have the answers you're looking for. They were found by searching the forum with MRoogle:

OWC Data Doubler Question
    anybody replace optical drive with a hard drive?
    Anybody tried OWC Data Doubler with SSD drive?
    Using a data doubler SSD on MBP 13"
    OWC and Apple's SSD in my mbp i7 testing

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

I wanna do that too as soon as I get my macbook pro (waiting for the update).
    But I want 1 ssd (128gb max) and 1 hdd (probably the 1 they give with the mbp).
    If i do that, should i put the hdd in the place of the optical and the ssd in the main HD socket? Or doesn't it matter at all?