Data doubler setup: manual or RAID 0?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iVikD, Jan 14, 2013.

1. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

So, I just bought an OWC Data Doubler along with a 120GB Mercury EXTREME 6G SSD for my MBP, and although I have to wait a week or two for delivery, I'm already trying to figure out the best way to set up folders and storage.
    My two obvious options would be to manually move my media folders (possibly home directory as well) to the HDD and have them both mounted like that, or set up a RAID 0 configuration as seen in this article.
    The RAID configuration seems like a pretty good deal, as the drives would be acting as one, but I'm no expert in RAID, and thought of asking someone who has a similar setup.
    Any thoughts on the matter? Furthermore, i need to use Bootcamp with Windows, would it be better to leave it in the HDD or partition the SSD? (this is assuming I don't go with a RAID setup). And if I DID use RAID, where would Windows end up? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'd really appreciate any help or opinions!

2. Stetrain, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think you'd be much better off using the built in "Fusion Drive" setup in OSX instead of RAID 0, like this:

http://tomasz.korwel.net/2012/11/04/apple-fusion-drive-on-late-2010-macbook-pro/

RAID 0 isn't really intelligent, it just stripes all of your files across both drives.

The "Fusion" setup will let OSX manage what goes on what drive, so the operating system and frequently used applications and files with automatically go on the SSD.

Edit: Just wanted to mention that with either the RAID 0 or Fusion Drive options you have an elevated risk of data loss since you could have some files which span across both drives. Keeping a time machine backup on an external drive would be a good idea.

3. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

That's very interesting, I wasn't even aware this could be done... I assume both drives have to be formatted prior to doing this? Of course, I have my time machine backup just in case. Still wondering if Windows is put in the SSD or HDD though, especially since I'll be partitioning the drive (post-fusion) for that NTFS part needed... Any idea?
    Regardless, this DOES seem much more efficient than RAID 0, thanks a bunch for the tip!

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I'm not sure but I would guess that you would probably be better off partitioning the HDD into two partitions first. Then create the fusion drive with the SSD and one of the HDD partitions, leaving one left over for bootcamp.

If you search around this forum and the internet you can probably find someone who has tried it with bootcamp.