Data Doubler SSD Negotiated Link Speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the_insider, Sep 16, 2011.

1. the_insider macrumors regular

the_insider

Last night I installed the OWC data doubler into my 2011 quad-core 15" mbp. I installed an OWC mercury extreme 240gb SSD into my standard HD slot and a toshiba 1tb hdd into the optical drive space.

Everything is working wonderfully smooth, but when I checked the system profiler the computer is only negotiating at 3gigabit with my new SSD. I was wondering what I should do to boost this to 6 gigabit, and how I could enable TRIM support with the new SSD?

Thanks in advance for helpful advice and suggestions!

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

That's all that the HDD needs. 6Gb/s does nothing for an HDD as it can't move data that fast.

3. the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

Thanks for the reply,

I am not worried about the HDD speed. It is the SSD in the main drive bay that is only negotiating at 3 gigabits.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

For TRIM, just google OS X TRIM hack and it should be the first link that pops up.

5. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

My apologies. I misread your post. Did you get the 6Gb/s version of the Mercury Extreme Pro? There is a 3Gb/s and a 6Gb/s. Before you start resetting PRAM or SMC, that would be an easy thing to check.

6. the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

Yes, it is the 6 gigabit mercury extreme pro. I have already reset the SMC, but it did nothing.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

You might want to read this blog post from OCW.

8. the_insider, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home from work.

EDIT: I updated the firmware last night and my MBP is still reporting a 3 gigabit negotiated link speed. :(

9. shardey, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Wonder what the problem is then.

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

2011's do have SATA3, at least in the main bay. :confused:

11. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

Does System Profiler report a link speed of 6 Gigabit? If so then that's very odd that you're getting 3G in the main bay. Have you checked to make sure they sent you the correct SSD? (Obvious I know, but these things happen.) Try resetting PRAM, I had to do that with one drive swap, SMC did nothing.

I would steer clear of TRIM. Drives have their own garbage management these days and there are reports of bad issues arising from enabling it. I have filled up C300s and Vertex 3s without using TRIM support and they still performed well.

12. the_insider thread starter macrumors regular

the_insider

Good to know, thanks for the info. Yes, system profiler reports a link speed of 6 gigabits. I will reset the p-ram when I get off work. Hopefully this will put the issue to rest.