Data Doubler Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by josephmccutchen, Sep 27, 2011.

1. josephmccutchen macrumors member

OK, I'm thinking of upgrading my 15" MBP with the Data Doubler from OWC, and I have some questions:

1. I've heard that there is an issue with having a HDD in the optical bay vs an SSD; is that true? I really don't want to fork out the money for an SSD if I don't have to.

2. I was going to get the Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB HDD and use that in the HDD bay, and put a Seagate Momentus 750GB HDD in the optical bay, but now I wonder whether that's a good idea. I just heard about the Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB, which is 9.5mm versus 12.5mm for the WD. How about putting that in the optical bay and put the Momentus in the HDD bay?

Any and all help that I can get in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

SATA III SSDs have issues in optical bay in 15" 2011 if optical bay has SATA III link speed. As for a hard drive in the optical bay it won't have all the protection it would have in the hard drive bay (so don't drop your computer).
    I'm not sure about this, but I think you need to use 9.5mm drives (I may be wrong).

3. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

Yes you are right about the 9.5mm drive; that's the only one that can go in the optical bay. Also, the WD is 5200 RPM, vs. 5400 for the Samsung.

4. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Western Digital has a 5,400rpm 1TB drive at 9.5mm:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927&Tpk=wd10jpvt

I have the drive. I did a quick AJA System Test and it averaged around 110mb/s read and write. Its very quiet too.

5. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

6. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

No problem.

Try not to go for the less expensive 12.5mm older generation 1TB drive. I had that drive myself and I returned it before I got around to opening it out of the packaging. I had to send it back out of fear, if you read the reviews there are a LOT of 1 out of 5 star ratings on that drive (lots of failures). I wasn't willing to risk putting 1TB worth of data on a drive that has that high of a failure rate on newegg.

I'm now using my 9.5mm for a couple weeks and its running just fine. I have noticed though that it can sometimes crunch data for a bit in Windows 7, it sounds a little bit like its reading the data a lot (its still quiet when it does this). I have a feeling though that since it's a fresh install of Windows and I'm still piling on installations (im a student in web development so i need a LOT of software for school).

Surprisingly, its a faster drive than my 1TB Western Digital Green 3.5" in my Mac Pro, and by a large margin too (89mbps vs. 110mbps)

7. josephmccutchen, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad that you reminded me of that; I had forgotten about the poor reviews on that drive, but now I remember.

Let me pose this question: you think having two of those drives would be good (one for main usage, one for Time Machine), or go with a 7200 RPM for the main drive? If so, I'm thinking about the Seagate Momentus 750GB for my main drive, and perhaps the one you mentioned in the Data Doubler.

8. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

if the drive is going to be used only for time machine, I'd just use it as an external. I have a third drive myself that I use for backups but I do them manually cuz time machine wont function the way I want it too. my third drive is the stock toshiba 750gb drive from apple. I put it into an enclosure to use for backup as usb.

the 1tb western digital at 9.5mm is pretty dense so it really is a fast drive for its capacity. it even manages to outperform 7,200rpm drives in certain cases. two of them would be a bad idea.

9. josephmccutchen thread starter macrumors member

I already have an external HDD; I have the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Ultra Portable 1.5TB. You're probably wondering, then, why on earth would I want two HDD's in my computer? Well, the reason for that is that I like to keep files from previous years on that drive; I only keep my current files on my computer. Also, I do a lot of computer work, so it's nice having enough free space on my external to backup files on another person's computer if it has problems. I would like to just have one partition on my external, ExFAT, instead of the two that I have now (ExFAT and MacOS Extended for Time Machine). That way, I have all of the drive available for a Windows computer that crashes, not just half of it. That's why I'm thinking two drives in my computer; one for main usage, one for Time Machine backups of the current year.