Data Doubler?? :/

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drivera717, Mar 30, 2011.

1. drivera717 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I've got a bit of a dilemma here. I'm about to add an ssd to my pro but can't decide if I should get the data doubler or just a small external hard drive to carry around with me or get the data doubler and if I need a cd drive I can use an external one.... Any thoughts?

2. calderone, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Either way you are going to carry something if you need it. The question is: What do you need more when out with your laptop?

More Storage?
    Optical Media?

I would choose the option that limited how often I had to bring another device along with me.

I just reviewed the MaxUpgrades Optical Connect Bay Kit (pretty much the same as the Data Doubler). Check it out if you are looking for other solutions.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1127731

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Using the optibay solution would save you from carrying the external if you don't really need an optical all the time.

If you plan on carrying an optical drive around all the time, then there is no really good reason to switch it around.

4. drivera717 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then it looks like I'm going with the data doubler, I honestly really never use the optical drive, I just want something incase I have to do a fresh install...yes yes I can put the os on another partition of the hard drive but I would rather now. Thanks for the link.

5. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i got the newmodeus hdd caddy - and this was way way better than the ebay - and only $42
    perfect fit - easy to install, i followed owc and mce-optibay instructions

As for external enclosure, seller smk312

6. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/External-USB-case-enclosure-9-5mm-SATA-DVD-drive-/280642382238?

i got the newmodeus hdd caddy - and this was way way better than the ebay - and only $42
    perfect fit - easy to install, i followed owc and mce-optibay instructions

As for external enclosure, seller smk312
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/External-USB-...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item415796e99e
    its only $15

was $12 when i got it a few months back - there's inflation for you!

honestly, if like me you rarely use your optical drive, this is fine, it does not look to bad either

As i still use windows from time - time, i may in the future buy a bluray RW external - firewire.