Data for iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Cams, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Cams macrumors regular

I bought an iPad 3G version 1 as a present for someone from the refurb store and she wants to know how to get data on it. All the info I can find is for iPad2, unsurprisingly. So:

1. Does the iPad v1 take a regular SIM or is a micro sim?
    2. Can you do pay-as-you-go and just buy top-ups at retail outlets, or does she have to get a data plan from a carrier? She already has a contract with Vodafone for her Android phone, but isn't keen to have another monthly payment just for the iPad.

I'm in the UK, in case that's relevant.

Thanks
    Cams

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

It uses a micro sim. There are plenty of data options to choose from (the best are 30-day rolling contracts). Just check out the different carrier websites. I would recommend Three though for data speed & value for money if you get signal for them. Vodafone are pretty stingy with data allowance, and charge quite a lot. Best thing to do is evaluate what she needs and find the best suiting deal online though.

3. Cams thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help DT. I think we'll go with Vodafone as it has the best signal in my area.

Cams