Data & Hard Drive Swap from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prodo123, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

2.2Ghz 15" MBP, and I need to swap hard drives.
    I'm swapping my Seagate Momentus XT (SD25) which has all of my data on it, to the Mac.
    I also want to transfer all of my data along with the hard drive.

There's two options:
    1. Move all of my data to an external drive via USB/ethernet, swap hard drives, install OS X and move the files back
    2. Swap hard drives first, install Mac on unallocated space, and move data via local file transfer

Theoretically the first one should take 3 days to complete. The second one should take 3 hours or less. The problem is, I don't know if the second option will work.
    I'm also confused on OS X's compatibility with NTFS. Are NTFS file partitions read-only in OS X, or do they not show up at all?

Are any of these viable solutions, or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Solution 1 will work, 2 will not. It will have to be totally reformatted to be a bootable OS X volume, as it has to use the GUID partition table, which it doesn't, coming from a PC. Option 1 may be more of a pain, but it's pretty much the only option. NTFS is read-only without a couple third party installs, and should mount normally.

3. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's why I'll reserve 160GB as unallocated, unformatted space to be used for the MACOSX format. That way a bootable OS X partition is created alongside a preexisting Windows partition. I've done it before with Hackintoshes, so would this work with a Mac too?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It may be worth a try, but I don't know how that would work. PCs typically use MBR, as it works with the normal BIOS. However, for a hackintosh, you may have had a system with EFI rather than BIOS, which would mean it would already use the GUID partition table. If it's MBR though, I believe you're out of luck.

5. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I'll give it a try. After all, GPT and EFI both have backwards compatibility to BIOS and MBR.

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Correct, but OS X doesn't like MBR as a boot volume.