Data instead of Wifi?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Ponchobot, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Ponchobot macrumors member

Bleh, this might sound like another stupid question, but i would appreciate some help here please.
    I would like to know if there is a way to only allow certain apps to load through wifi, while wifi is connected and data while wifi isn't connected. so say i am connected to wifi right now and i would like to pull up my facebook app, it would connect through my EDGE, instead of through the wifi? and have this act as like a simple way to bypass a block on sites while on wifi?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

3. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

But doing that doesn't allow the facebook alerts to be pushed through while i'm on wifi. And i love my facebook alerts. :)

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Let me get this straight.

You have a data plan, and also access to WiFi but some sites are blocked.

If you turn off wiFi, you can still use 3g or edge, right? Why not just do that? Why wont facebook alerts come over edge? They do on my iphone.

5. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

I know it sounds stupid, but i have limited data on my plan (2gb) and honestly data is so much slower than wifi. So, if i have the opportunity to be connected to wifi i'd much rather be connected to wifi.

6. sbddude macrumors 6502a

2gb is more than you think. My wife has 200mb and uses facebook all the time. You'll be fine.

7. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, but it's not only facebook. I mean i honestly spend a lot of time just downloading stuff from cydia and streaming pandora, so i save all the data i can. And it's not that i just want it because of facebook. I just want it so it allows facebook updates to be pushed through while i'm on the wifi.

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

just have facebook email you and then when you get the email, turn off wifi and check facebook over 3g, then turn wifi back on.

Email is not blocked, right?

9. Ponchobot thread starter macrumors member

Honestly, i didn't think about that.. But i think doing that would be inconvenient. But i don't think what i want is even possible.. So, I guess i'll just have to stick to that. or find a way to bypass the block.