iPhone Data junk after restore

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by snorri, Nov 14, 2013.

1. snorri macrumors newbie

Hi all,

during the last iOS update (tethered via iTunes), my iPhone 4 was accidentally disconnected from the Computer. I did a restore, which seems to have worked fine. But I now have 17 Gigabytes of data junk in my memory that I don't know how to get rid of. iTunes displays it as a long brownish bar labelled "Other".

Does anyone know what to do about this? Reset the phone and another restore?

Thanks in advance!

snorri

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Restore it again, do not disconnect it during the restore, set it up as new, do not restore to backup.
    Use the tabs in iTunes to restore your content.

3. snorri thread starter macrumors newbie

Done, seems to have worked fine, thanks! Of course I have to set up everything again now, but that's what you get for disturbing an OS install, I guess :p

Only problem: All my notes are gone now, forgot that those weren't synchronized via my Exchange account. Not a terrible loss, but: Is there any sensible way to get them back?

snorri

4. tateu macrumors 6502

I don't know how to get them directly back into the phone but, if you have them in an iOS backup on your computer, you can use one of possibly a few different backup extraction programs to view or copy them to your computer.

I have used iTools and iBackupBot on a Windows PC. iBackupBot is the easiest, it shows them to you as plain text files with date, title and note body. You can export them to an excel spreadsheet, csv file or sqlite database. Or you can just manually copy the body text from each one.

I put them back onto my iPhone by using the Notes folder of one of my IMAP email accounts and Thunderbird on a Windows PC. I can go into more detail on this if you want.

5. snorri thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I solved my problem with "iPhone Backup Extractor" (free edition) to read the notes from the backup, and "CopyTrans Contacts" (evaluation version) to write the important notes back to the device.

snorri