Data Leak ($940 bill)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nelga, May 13, 2011.

1. nelga macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've had a great time arguing with Vodafone over the last 3 days - attempting to dispute a $960 excess data charge for my iPhone 3GS. (about 6gb's of download)

As I only ever use the net on my iPhone to check my email, possibly use safari to read some news headlines & maybe send a high score for Angry Birds, it seems incredibly unlikely that I was using this amount of data purposefully.

I'd really love to get to the bottom of what's happened, and want to find out if it's an app that is doing this - and if so, which one. The reason I'm not sure, is that i'm also experiencing issues with my phone (the battery depletes from 100% to 0% in around 2hrs). The phone is about to be sent in for repair - which may or may not fix what's happening.

My question - has this ever happened to you? And were you able to figure out what happened, and/or sort out your bill with your phone company?

Also, are there any iphone apps that will point the finger at which app might be consuming this data (if it is an app)? I have only been able to find data monitors - none that actually specifically name the usage from other applications.

Many thanks for your time!

2. nathanschafer macrumors member

Im sorry to hear of this. I recently had a rather expensive bill after I was updating some apps on wifi, and then left home and it switched to 3g and kept updating the apps. Could you have done this? As for the battery issues, your battery sounds like it is worn out. If the phone is under warranty, apple will replace your battery

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. nelga thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Thanks for your responses!

No it's not jailbroken, and i'm currently on iOS 4.3.2.

Also definitely not still downloading updates...

So this is still a bit of a mystery :|

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Something similar happened to me with my iPad2 3G. I bought the 250MB plan to test it out on a Friday.

On Monday morning, I get notifications by email from AT&T saying that my plan had 8% of data left at 2.30am ... then another one that I had 1% left at 2.50am :D ... I was sleeping at the time this happened lol

Now I know, to keep my 3G radio off when not in use.

I think the iPad disconnected from my Wifi router that night, and since I had the 3G radio on, it did some kind of download in the background. Not sure what exactly, but it wasn't an app update that did it.

Just wanted to share what happened to me.

6. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

I am curious as to what is happening that your phone is using this much data, is there anyway someone is tethering off your wifi without your consent? Is a hack like that possible?

I'm not sure what country you are in but one thing to help out your vodafone debacle. Here in the US AT&T has a 200MB and a 2GB data plan, say you are on the 200MB plan and ou use 3GB of data, it is not too difficult to give them a call and switch your month to the 2GB plan which is only $10 more and then you you have to pay $10 additional for each GB over 2 you use. As I stated earlier I do not know what country you are in so I cannot give specifics but I would try to see if they would do something like that for you. But try to get to the bottom of where the data is going so that you only have to dispute them once. Also in the US there is an ATT app that shows you your usage and it updates fairly quickly.