Data Loss in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by slrandall, Nov 18, 2013.

1. slrandall macrumors 6502

Has anyone else experienced data loss in Mavericks? I noticed today that my Alfred preferences were deleted, including all of my custom workflows. I opened Messages to ask my friend (another Alfred user) about it, when I saw that all my contacts were deleted too.

What the hell is going on? I'm also noticing some other serious issues: external drives don't show up on my Desktop anymore, my wallpapers keep getting reset, Finder doesn't remember any preferences, etc. Are these Mavericks issues, or is there something wrong with my computer?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have something else going on. Nothing in Mavs would make data like that just disappear.

Make sure you have a good backup then do a command-r boot to recovery. Then start Disk Utility and run a repair disk and see what that says. It could be you have a drive failure developing.

Also, try running the Apple Hardware Test. That will pickup bad RAM issues that can cause data loss.

3. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I did get some flash memory corruption that I fixed with Disk Utility. The corruption wasn't apparent until I ran a check on the disk and the problem was highlighted.

Might be an idea to run a disk check every few days while Mavericks is still in its early incarnations.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Are you using Western Digital external drives? If so, uninstall the WD software as it is known to cause data loss with Mavericks. I picked up a WD 4TB Raid 0 drive for $250 (was $370). I installed the WD software in order to switch it to Raid 1 (2 TB mirrored), then I deleted the WD software immediately. No data loss for me.

5. slrandall thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk Utility says that everything's fine, and I couldn't get the Apple Hardware Test to run; my computer just sat there with a blank screen. I keep pretty religious back-ups, so I guess we'll just see what happens.

No WD software here.

6. dean1012 macrumors regular

I had a rather odd issue when I first upgraded to Mavericks...

I already had Mountain Lion with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote from MAS as well as iLife that came with the mac.

I upgraded to Mavericks and proceeded to download the updates that were available from MAS. This resulted in the expected outcome: I still had my old iWork but also had the new iWork.

I then noticed that Launchbar was no longer registered. I had to register that again.

When I rebooted, Launchbar was again not registered and the MAS showed that I needed to redownload Pages/Numbers/Keynote. I did so which resulted in three copies (old iWork and two copies of new iWork). I manually cleaned that up and restarted and no issues since.