Data Loss on external drives?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brijazz, Sep 8, 2009.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I have two USB hard drives connected to my iMac. Since installing SL, I have experienced data loss on both. Example: I open a folder in the Finder. I then CMD-UP to move to the next level up, only to find that the folder I was just viewing is no longer in the list. It's just gone! Has anyone experienced something similar, because this is just awful!

2. Interpolation macrumors regular

Don't have that on my external drive. Have you tried running a disk repair on the disks.

3. nph macrumors 6502a

I see a similar issue that files only gets copied over partially to Airport drives. For directly attached USB drives it works fine though.

4. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Why are you using silly USB? Firewire is much faster. I have two 1 TB drives connected with Firewire and no problems accessing any data since upgrade to 10.6.

5. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

I once had this kind of issue with drives I mounted in an external enclosure.

99% of the data copied over OK but I was seeing signs of corrupted data. So I wiped the drives and removed them from the external enclosures. Put them internally (the desktop had room for them). Kicked off the copy again. No more errors.

In other words, sometimes it could be the enclosure causing issues. I'm sure that had I used a higher quality enclosure, I wouldn't have had this issue.