Data Lost.....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Neo110503, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Neo110503 macrumors regular

So i got a new external hard drive and moved my music from my Network Drive to my new hard drive. I ran iTunes and found that i'm missing over 500 songs and when i went to look for some of the music i knew i was missing, it was even gone from my old hard drive. Any thoughts, has this happened to anyone else. I think i'm just going to forget about the songs and continue on.

Thanks.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Telling us what you did when you moved the music would be helpful in identifying exactly what might have resulted in this data loss.

3. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Lost or just missing? I moved my library to another drive and had a ton of them with broken links. I finally wrote down my playlists, started a new library and dragged the new library back into iTunes. Sure I lost counts and stuff, but all my music was there, so no big loss.

4. Neo110503 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually did it twice. First i just plugged the network drive into my MB, copied everything and pasted. The second time i just changed my directory in iTunes and let it copy everything.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I suspect that iTunes is just confused, and doesn't know where all your music is. Correcting this is quite simple - find the iTunes Music folder on your external drive and tell iTunes to add its contents to its library. iTunes will sort through the folder and add anything that isn't already there.

6. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Weird? Permissions issue with copy-over? I've had cases where file appeared to be missing when viewing them over the network on our server, but could see them when sitting at the server. Came down to repairing permissions fixed it. Were the missing songs originally tied to another user account before having them on the network drive? Hopefully you have the missing music on an iPod?

7. Neo110503 thread starter macrumors regular

No i do all the ripping to the drive, my dad gets confused between iPods and iTunes. I looked on the network and can't even find it there. It's mostly CDs that i lost, it's just dusting off my old CD case and re-ripping everything:(.

8. Neo110503 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but that did not work all it did was re-process the album artwork. I think i actually went from 10,100 songs to 9549.

9. Neo110503 thread starter macrumors regular

I just noticed that i have some tracks to CDs i had, but no sign of the rest of them in my new hard drive or the old one.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Can't you move your music folder to another drive and then in iTunes preferences change the location of your music folder under Advanced>General>iTunes Music Folder Location ... That's how I would do it.

11. Neo110503 thread starter macrumors regular