Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Hi guys,

I added a macbook to my Mac family today (G5 iMac). This is the first time I've owned a laptop, let alone more than one computer at the same time. This has created some confusion for me that was a non-issue before. I'm curious; how do you guys manage which data you store where.

Some specific things I wonder about are these. On which machine do you store photos? What about music? Do you have your whole library duplicated?

I'm also curious about how you guys do documents, especially for those that have Mobile Me. I'm thinking I might start doing all documents on my iDisk and therefore have instant(ish) access on any and all computers use.

Open door for advice: anything else you can think of that will aid me in adding a new computer?

rtpub

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Well, this is just my own personal preferences, this may or may not be any helpful ;)

These are what I have right now:
- 2 macbooks,
- 1 PC notebook,
- 1 PC desktop
- 1 NAS

Situation:
I mainly use one macbook to do the documents, photo editing etc. and my wife uses the other macbook for her own leisure. The PC notebook & desktop are getting old so we don't use it as often; :D

My preferences:
I do the photo editing/catalog management with Lightroom 2 (LR) and copy the LR catalogs to the other macbook installed with LRviewer (a free utility to view LR catalogs); a backup catalogs and original photo copies are being saved onto the NAS on RAID 1.

For music / videos & contacts / calendar events we keep separate libraries on our own macbooks since we have different preferences.

Hope this will shed some light on your own implementation.:)

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.