Data Migration Headaches

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Stevi, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Stevi macrumors member

Stevi

This is my first iMac. I bought a 27" 3 TB fusion. Originally I had planned to take my new iMac to Apple and have them transfer the data. That wasn't to be, I caught pneumonia and in my extremely frigid climate (-25C to -35C) it might be March before I'm well enough to leave my house (I have other health issues that make life more interesting as well).

So the plan was to do the migration myself. The first attempt was through wifi and thankfully it crashed as it was going to be days before it would complete. I then moved to using Ethernet. It took 3 tries with Ethernet before the migration finally took. It also meant I had a few calls to Apple to figure out what was going on. Since I was new to iMacs I didn't totally understand what was going on and interestingly enough it seems some of the support folks didn't either.

Because I had 3 failed data migrations I had loads of data on the HD that the iMac could tell me it had but couldn't access. My first Senior Advisor tried to tell me that this wasn't a problem and just to do another migration. Luckily this one failed too and the next Senior Advisor I spoke was much better. Basically he said since the transfer had failed, the process hadn't completed and the iMac didn't know what to do with imported data. His recommendation was to scrub the drive and start again. We deleted the contents on the HD and reinstalled Mountain Lion. From there I started my 4th attempt to migrate my data. Thankfully it worked and I'm now working on my new iMac.

What was clearly evident in speaking with both Senior Advisors is that at this point, they really do not fully understand the fusion drive and how it functions. The first Advisor was seemed to think he knew what he was doing (and did not take the time to read through any Apple provided materials) the second Advisor explained that the newness of the fusion drive meant he wasn't well versed with the fusion drive but he was very happy to spend the time to make sure we did the right thing.

I'm very happy to have it all working now, but it was a little unnerving to get to different solutions to the same problem.

2. XofDyer macrumors member

Indeed! I am having similar problems. Nothing completely insurmountable, but iMovie, for example simply does not open with some files I would like to migrate to the new system.

3. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Just out of interest's sake, what were you Migrating from, another Apple Computer..??

And HELLO from an equally frozen next-door neighbour.. it is -27ºC here tonite ~ which is -37ºC with Windchill added.. Yippee!! :eek:

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

OP said it was his first Mac.

FWIW I don't think the problems (whatever they were exactly) were fusion related. It should just look like a regular disk to the migration assistant. But, some tech support people do tend to get hung up on what's new.

5. Stevi thread starter macrumors member

Stevi

It was an older PC I was transferring from. I hope we both warm up soon. I'd like to be able to leave my house. Cabin fever is setting in. On the bright side I have this nice new toy to play with. :D

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I thought your thread said "Data Migraine headaches", and I was like, I get those ALL the time... :D

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

With all due respect, you missed the 'i'.. :cool:

I have transferred DATA between my three MBPs as I upgraded, and a couple of friend's iMac to iMac, as well as to MBP, and ALL quite seamlessly.. and so I was wondering what kind of interconnect issue he may have been having, if any.. That was all.. :D