Data migration/reboot questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwh63, May 16, 2011.

1. rwh63 macrumors newbie

let me say that i have looked at other threads before asking here.

I recently purchased a base model 2011 macbook pro 13" to replace my 2010 of same. A friend is purchasing my lightly used 2010, and i'm going to have to "migrate" my data to the new one. The bulk will be pic/vids and music, plus bookmarks, etc. At the apple store, i was told that i could time capsule my current stuff on an external hard drive and transfer it that way. i have a western digital hd and had not backed up any of my stuff yet, so gave that a try. It downloaded about 35-40 gb of info. I then plugged it into my 2011 pro and it took about 15 minutes to download onto there. However, when i checked the result, it seems nothing actually downloaded (no music, photos, bookmarks to state the easily noticed). Not sure what occurred.

The apple rep also said that i could connect pro-to-pro with a firewire cable and transfer that way. i've ordered some cables from monoprice. will this method guarantee a proper and complete transfer?

Second question, what is the proper way to erase all of my things from the 2010 computer? and is it possible to leave behind my music for them, or would i have to reload from the hard drive or the 2011 pro?

thanks for the help.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You must use migration assistant in utilities to migrate the data from your time machine backup.

3. rwh63 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the reply. i believe i did use the assistant (asked me how i was going to transfer).