Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevi

macrumors member
Original poster
This is my first iMac, I'm moving from a 10 year old (but updated) PC. Last night I set up Migration Assistant (MA) to move the data from the dinosaur to the iMac. I'm curious how much data are people moving and how long is MA suggesting it will take?

Thanks in advance,

Stevi

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
This is my first iMac, I'm moving from a 10 year old (but updated) PC. Last night I set up Migration Assistant (MA) to move the data from the dinosaur to the iMac. I'm curious how much data are people moving and how long is MA suggesting it will take?

Thanks in advance,

Stevi

How long it takes is dependent on the amount of data and connection. What info are you most interested in migrating????

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Thanks in advance,

Stevi

It will depend of course on how much data you have and even more so on how you connected the machines. Sounds like maybe you used ethernet?

I migrated about 20GB off a external USB drive in around 90 minutes if that gives you any idea.

Stevi

macrumors member
Original poster
How long it takes is dependent on the amount of data and connection. What info are you most interested in migrating????

I have over a 200GB iTunes library, and likely (because I didn't measure it) 275GB of video and photographs.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I set it up last night and I'm looking at days before its done. Maybe I should have done it differently (ie less stuff).

It's been 10 years since I've done any kind of data transfer and volumes were much smaller then than now. This is probably what one can expect transferring this volume of stuff.

cgill421

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
I have over a 200GB iTunes library, and likely (because I didn't measure it) 275GB of video and photographs.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but I set it up last night and I'm looking at days before its done. Maybe I should have done it differently (ie less stuff).

It's been 10 years since I've done any kind of data transfer and volumes were much smaller then than now. This is probably what one can expect transferring this volume of stuff.

What kind of connection are you using? USB? Ethernet?

cgill421

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Wifi, when I set up the data migration I expected it to give me options but it didn't. Newbie mistake probably.

Days?! Whew, if I were you I might cancel and restart with an ethernet cable connection.

Stevi

macrumors member
Original poster
Days?! Whew, if I were you I might cancel and restart with an ethernet cable connection.

Well the powers that be intervened and the pc had a error that closed the migration assistant causing the whole process to stop. I disconnected the Internet from the dinosaur and restarted using Ethernet. Already it is much faster.

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Stevi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.