Data mining?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Sailingapple, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Sailingapple macrumors newbie

I been seeing this on my devices running iOS 6 and 7. The device will not be in use but 70 to 90 MB will be shown as being uploaded with almost no downloading. I have everything in the settings TURNED OFF. This includes notifications, privacy, the cloud, etc...

I am wondering how many others are experiencing this same thing? I am wondering if iOS has been hacked and if Apple is aware of this? I am wondering what information is being taken and how it is being used? Is my IP address being used by someone with or without Apple's knowledge for something illegal? A lot of information is being uploaded from my devices which has me concerned. Why?

I have been to a apple store and have talked to a couple of Apple Care techs and genius, who only tell me that it could not be happening. The fact is that it is happening. Any input, ideas, or similar stories would be very helpful.

I just posted this message on the Apple Forums and it was removed by Apple in minutes as a rant. Now I'm really concerned. Is Apple hiding something here? Why would Apple not want the issue discussed openly?

2. DarkCole macrumors regular

DarkCole

NSA

In all honesty I have no idea. Doesn't sound too great though. I know you said you had everything shut off but any apps like Dropbox?

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

What are you using to determine the data amount uploaded? And there's no way we can be sure you have everything turned off. And you made no mention of the apps installed.

Without knowing more I'll generically say you have the ability to find out what's sending the data and where it's going. If you're not technically inclined find someone who is.

I agree that you would get more assistance if you simply asked what's being uploaded instead of turning it into a political discussion. Tech people love to solve tech questions / problems.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Does this happen over wifi and 3G or just wifi?

There is an awful lot to turn off and if you are turning everything off then just put it in airplane mode.

5. Altis macrumors 68000

Are there any apps open in the background?

Even with background app refresh disabled, apps (especially Facebook) eat data and battery if they're still in the app switcher.

I know it isn't much comfort, but it doesn't sound like a hack to me. iOS 7 and it's apps have lots of bugs, especially under the hood.