Data monitoring app

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sdilley14, Dec 10, 2014.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Could somebody suggest a good data monitoring app? I have a friend that has been going way over on his data plan for the last couple months and can't quite figure out why. He isn't a "power user" by any means, doesn't stream music, hasn't used Facebook in a month. He pretty much just uses SnapChat, fantasy football apps, and some light web browsing. I don't have access to his phone so I can't mess with it and figure it out myself.

Thanks!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Has your friend looked at the cellular data usage by app information within Settings->Cellular?

3. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep. He sent me screen shots of all that, nothing appeared to be out of the ordinary, all numbers were aggregate as of August, and his data useage numbers were pretty much in line with mine. I have a 2GB plan and usually only hit about half that. He has a 5GB plan and has been going over that somehow.

4. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If the problems are recent he should re-set those counters and see what happens over the next week. If there is a bad app that started misbehaving its numbers may be masked by months of good data use covering up the problem.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly.

Reset the counters, give it a couple days, and then see what they report.

7. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a good point. I'll have him do that. I'm having him send me copies of the bills too. It's US Cellular and they have had massive billing issues over the last couple years - so it *could* be something as simple as a mess up on their end. We shall see!

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If he's with Verizon the Verizon mobile app not only shows data usage but it also has a widget for the notification center.

9. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Thanks for this! I've been trying DataMan but it hasn't been accurately recording my data usage. Hopefully the Verizon app/widget will get it correct, straight from the "horse's mouth."

10. Tzerlag macrumors regular

Tzerlag

I've used dataman for close to two years. It seems to track quite closely to my usage. I find it agrees with the cellular usage in iOS8, too.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

The other benefit with that widget is that it will show you data used for the whole account rather than just on your device--especially useful with shared data as it gives you a better picture of where the total shared data usage is for the billing cycle.

12. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Check if your carrier has an app which lets you monitor your data usage.

Else, dataman, which also comes with a widget now. Seems pretty accurate, as I have been comparing it against my carrier's app.