Data Network Wonky after 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SpudGT, Nov 23, 2010.

1. SpudGT macrumors member

Updated my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1 last night, and today I am having lots of trouble accessing data services (email, stocks, weather, etc.). So far I have:
    - reset my network settings
    - power cycled

For a while there my 3G indicator was flashing on and off. Is this my phone or ATT?

Attached Files:

2. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Im in the same situation...keeps saying im not subscribed to a data network...vodafone in england here.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well, before I'd go off saying that iOS 4.2.1 was the culprit, I would do more testing to differentiate between the two.
    I haven't had any problems with my connection before or after the update.

4. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I got a carrier update as soon as 4.2.1 was installed. Did you? maybe thats your problem.

6. SpudGT thread starter macrumors member

I don't remember seeing anything get updated after 4.2.1, but how would I tell?

If I look under settings I see: "Carrier AT&T 9.0"

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This morning I noticed that my 'Data Roaming' setting was turned off. I don't remember doing that. I'm wondering if the 4.2 update did that.

Check yours. Is it on or off?

8. SpudGT thread starter macrumors member

Mine is indeed OFF, but I think mine has always been set that way.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, now that I think about it, what the heck would you roam TO in the U.S.? AT&T 3G is the only 3G the iPhone can use so it's not like roaming is actually helping me anywhere I go.

Oh well, just a though.

10. lake alice macrumors member

I see the same thing.

11. lake alice macrumors member

There is one website I use for work and I always this message. I hit refresh on the browser and it loads up normal.

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm in the UK so i can't see what the differences are but i do remember reading somewhere that AT&T also got a carrier update shipped with the new update. You say you've reset network settings. Perhaps you should do it once more or its time to reset all settings

13. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

I upgraded my 3GS, and I am having the same issues. I'm on AT&T. I'm thinking it might be the update, but not sure.

14. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

Update: I just reset my Network settings, and so far that seems to have fixed the problem. Will monitor to see if signal remains stable.

15. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

Update: Sorry, spoke too soon. Still having issue. If anyone has any solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

16. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

When you upgraded to the new firmware did you use the "Update" or the "restore" button? Also once you had installed the firmware 4.2.1 did you sync from backup or setup as new phone. If you Upgraded , or used sync from backup that is most likely the problem.

Do another update, but this time use the restore button, and then to be extra safe set up as new phone.

17. SpudGT thread starter macrumors member

I gave ATT technical support a call. We ended up doing the following:
    Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings

While all my settings got zorched, it does appear to have fixed my problem. Perhaps this had a similar outcome as the steps chakraj was suggesting.

18. weirdlilwoman macrumors member

Does the "Restore" or "Set Up As New Phone" erase all info in apps? I would guess "Restore" does.

I think the issue might be AT&T. Currently not having issues right now. But, we will see.

19. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

I can report exactly the same issues with network connectivity. In actual fact this started when I was trying out 4.2 GM and I went back and forth to and from it for several days. Simply put, I seemed to have had continual intermittent 3G connectivity issues which, on reverting to 4.1 disappeared. 4.2.1 GM was exactly the same (and thus the 4.2.1 release version). I have gone back to 4.1 and hopefully there will be a fix for this. And yes, I have gone through the cycle of resetting all settings etc.