iPhone XR Data off yet still getting 3 bars?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by white4s, Nov 6, 2018.

1. white4s macrumors 68000

Just messing around and went to turn off cellular data and it still shows a signal? Able to make calls as well. Also turned off lte.

Am I missing something here? My se completely turned off everything

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Turn on airplane mode and turn off wifi ... That should kill everything

3. ZelMousse macrumors newbie

Turning off cell data only disabled internet access, It doesn’t effect voice. If you want to disable all cell functions then turn on “Airplane mode”

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Text messaging (SMS) and calls don't use data and go through essentially what would be something like 2G. Disabling cellular/mobile data (which also includes LTE) just disables the data portion, not the cellular signal itself (for that, as others have mentioned, airplane mode can be used).

5. white4s thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I was looking to cut off everything except wifi when I'm home. I feel like this was possible with my other iphones? Weird

6. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

I would think turning airplane mode on and then turning wi-fi back on would do the trick.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

It continues to completely possible now, just as with was before. You're apparently just misremembering what you did (or what you were doing didn't do what you thought).

To turn off the cellular radio, switch to airplane mode. You can re-enable Wifi and Bluetooth if you wish.

Turning off Cellular Data simply does just that, it turns off the data stream over cellular -- so no Internet access (email/web/imessage) and no MMS messaging. It does NOT turn off voice calling or SMS text messages -- those still work since they don't use the data side of cellular.

I am curious though -- why exactly are you feeling the need to turn off the cellular radio when you're home?

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Turn airplane mode on and then with it on just enable WiFi.

10. bushman4 macrumors 68020

signal bars aren’t accurate for some reason

11. deeddawg, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

deeddawg macrumors 604

They're not accurate for several reasons.

In this case they're pretty dead on though. If you see bars it means the cellular radio is turned on. If you see an airplane logo (or see no bars) it means the cellular radio is turned off.

Addition to the airplane mode comments -- Looks like in IOS12 you can turn off the cellular radio without technically choosing airplane mode.

EDIT: I was incorrect, the control center cellular control it just turns off cellular data. Sorry.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

How does that work?

13. Ebok Suspended

But why....

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

It doesn't. My error. Saw the cellular icon in control center and it seemed like it turned off all cellular but with further research it apparently just turns off cellular data and not the whole cellular radio as I (mistakenly) thought.

I've corrected my post accordingly.

More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202769