Data on NAS with time Capsule. How do I backup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wmitch, Oct 28, 2013.

1. wmitch macrumors regular

I recently bought the 2013 MBA and I have moved My photos, video files and itunes to my time Capsule (I know this isn't ideal and i'm no longer using Iphoto due to not handling NAS library well but other than that has worked great) and I have it set up so that i can access this information from anywhere i have an internet connection.

All told it's about 300gb worth of data which leaves me w/1.2 TB free.

The Problem is i can't figure out how to back this data up.

I was going to put on a drive plugged into the USB port of the TC but TC won't back up that drive.

Will Carbon Copy cloner or any other software automatically backup my TC to the USB drive attached to it?

I've spent hours searching threads and google and not coming up w/anything so i'm totally open to suggestions as long as they aren't expensive ones :)

Also just a quick note of irritation- why is the USB port still 2.0 speeds not 3.0 on the Airport express and TC? seems silly when you have AC wireless and all new machines are USB 3.0

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you plug that USB drive in your Mac, CCC or SuperDuper should be able to copy the data from your Time Capsule to the USB drive. Not going to be quick though. :(

3. wmitch thread starter macrumors regular

So there's no way to do regular scheduled backups without unplugging from the TC and plugging into my computer?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you have the drive plugged into the TC, the TC is sharing it out, and you've got it mounted on your Air (along with the drive for the TC), I'd imagine that CCC/SuperDuper would be able to read from the TC and write to that drive.

But all of the data will have to flow from the TC to your Air via WiFi, and then from your Air back to the external drive (via WiFi).