Data on prepaid US service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrewag, Nov 18, 2008.

1. andrewag macrumors 6502

Hi

I coming to the US for Macworld from Australia and rather than get slugged with roaming costs, does AT&T have any prepaid SIM's with data included that I could put in my iPhone 3G while i'm there. I'm expecting Google Maps / iPhone GPS to be my best friend.

Thanks

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, but your phone has to be unlocked to use non-Aussie SIM's

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

There used to be a $19.95/month option for unlimited data, but that ended last week. Now you're stuck on 1mb for $4.95 or 5mb for 9.95. Using maps would kill you, especially if you went a bit over the limit with one cent/kilobyte.

4. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Maybe you can get the sidekick deal with tmobile IDK about that but other than that theres big charges better off signing up month by month!:apple:

5. Bitgod macrumors regular

Bitgod

So you can't use a GoPhone plan and just pay the .01/kb data useage on the iphone? I used to do that on my unlocked 8125 on Cingular and I was thinking of just "buying" my phone and going prepay, with my useage it'd save me money in the long run.

6. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Google Transit in iPhone 2.2 will be useful too.

AT&T just axed their unlimited data option on prepaid.

T-mobile' sidekick prepaid with unlimited data only works with the Sidekick IMEI range.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If you purchase a brand new iPhone from any AT&T or Apple-affiliated reseller, your only option will be to sign up for a 2-year contract.

Officially, if you bring a second-hand iPhone to an AT&T store to start a new account, they will also only hook you up if you sign up for their designated iPhone contract.

If you already have an active AT&T PayGo SIM (say, from another cheap throw away phone, or one that you bought stand-alone and activated online) and you transfer it to either an AT&T-locked iPhone, or to an unlocked international iPhone, it has been demonstrated that it will function. Then you can pay the $0.01 per kilobyte data rate to your heart's content.

Buyer beware: viewing a single fair sized web page of around 2 MB is going to cost you $20.