Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Unless I'm still missing something here, if you have an:
• iPhone/iPad with only a data plan (obviously data-only w/ iPad)
you're pretty much good to go, right?

Can anyone give me some extra insight into this please?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
You can't get an iPhone without a data plan. Even if you were to get an iPhone secondhand, no cellphone provider will sell you a data-only plan.

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
You can't get an iPhone without a data plan. Even if you were to get an iPhone secondhand, no cellphone provider will sell you a data-only plan.

Yeah, I know that, but I've read that you can activate a micro-sim in an iPad 3G, then change the APN settings on the iPhone and put that sim in. ?

TheRealHershey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I heard they were cracking down on that sim swapping also and disable the account.

Hmm, well my friend is going to give me his i4 when the new one comes out, so I was thinking about getting a sim card from att, then going to the Apple store or BB and activated the card in their iPad, assuming none of my info stays in the iPad 3G.

Might just wait for an iPad 3 3G, then use Skype with a BT headset...and hope and pray Sprint get's their 3G network about 150k and talking network to the point where I actually get calls again.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
How about find a job that lets you actually pay for phone service instead of relying on Google Voice and Skype as if you were a 14 year old?

z3r0inc

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Just to let you know, Google voice calls your phone first, then connects you to whoever you want to call. You still need a data plan.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Unless I'm still missing something here, if you have an:
• iPhone/iPad with only a data plan (obviously data-only w/ iPad)
you're pretty much good to go, right?

Can anyone give me some extra insight into this please?

Yes this works just fine by switching the APN. Go to unlockit.co.cz for easy setup. Just be forewarned that AT&T's 3G "network" is susceptible to low data speeds at times, and is deficient for making frequent VOIP calls. If you make ALOT of calls you are best to do it on wifi.

How about find a job that lets you actually pay for phone service instead of relying on Google Voice and Skype as if you were a 14 year old?

How about you wipe the telco's spooey from your chin? Skype has 500+ million users. Microsoft didn't pay $8 billion because "14 year olds" rely on it.
It's anyone's prerogative to buy a device outright for $400-$600 and pay the carrier less, with no contract. Just because YOUR job means you can only afford paying $200 for a subsidized locked device doesn't mean everyone else can't.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.