Data-Only iPhone 4 w/ AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealHershey, Sep 28, 2011.

1. TheRealHershey macrumors member

Unless I'm still missing something here, if you have an:
    • iPhone/iPad with only a data plan (obviously data-only w/ iPad)
    you're pretty much good to go, right?

Can anyone give me some extra insight into this please?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

You can't get an iPhone without a data plan. Even if you were to get an iPhone secondhand, no cellphone provider will sell you a data-only plan.

3. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I know that, but I've read that you can activate a micro-sim in an iPad 3G, then change the APN settings on the iPhone and put that sim in. ?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I heard they were cracking down on that sim swapping also and disable the account.

5. TheRealHershey thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, well my friend is going to give me his i4 when the new one comes out, so I was thinking about getting a sim card from att, then going to the Apple store or BB and activated the card in their iPad, assuming none of my info stays in the iPad 3G.

Might just wait for an iPad 3 3G, then use Skype with a BT headset...and hope and pray Sprint get's their 3G network about 150k and talking network to the point where I actually get calls again.

6. ggmissmolly macrumors regular

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

8. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

How about find a job that lets you actually pay for phone service instead of relying on Google Voice and Skype as if you were a 14 year old?

9. z3r0inc macrumors regular

Just to let you know, Google voice calls your phone first, then connects you to whoever you want to call. You still need a data plan.

10. tasset, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

tasset macrumors 6502a

Yes this works just fine by switching the APN. Go to unlockit.co.cz for easy setup. Just be forewarned that AT&T's 3G "network" is susceptible to low data speeds at times, and is deficient for making frequent VOIP calls. If you make ALOT of calls you are best to do it on wifi.

How about you wipe the telco's spooey from your chin? Skype has 500+ million users. Microsoft didn't pay $8 billion because "14 year olds" rely on it.
    It's anyone's prerogative to buy a device outright for $400-$600 and pay the carrier less, with no contract. Just because YOUR job means you can only afford paying $200 for a subsidized locked device doesn't mean everyone else can't.