Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OmegaTyrant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2007
Hi,

I searched these forums and on google but could not really find a definitive answer. Is it possible to buy an iphone with only a data plan, barring submitting the disabled paperwork? I only want it for 3G/EDGE more so than the phone aspect.
Thanks.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Hi,

I searched these forums and on google but could not really find a definitive answer. Is it possible to buy an iphone with only a data plan, barring submitting the disabled paperwork? I only want it for 3G/EDGE more so than the phone aspect.
Thanks.

I have a 2G iPhone on an AT&T GoPhone (or Pay As You Go) plan.. Its $19.99 month for unlimited data (and then either $4.99/200 texts or $9.99/1000 texts). I can use it for voice if I wanted but it would be at .25c a minute.

I'm not sure if a full jailbreak is necessary or just unlocking/activating it - (I did all anyway).. Apparently the 3G iPhone works with the PAYG plan right out of the box, but the phones aren't cheap without a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.