Data or no data?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrJay23, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MrJay23 macrumors member

Just want some input.
    Do you guys believe that data for iPad is necessary? With iPad 3 confirmed to have LTE, it'd be nice to have but I dont know if t's really necessary. I would probably tether via mywi or something from my phone, but im not sure if it's that fast.

So I'm asking, do you guys have data for iPad?
    Do you think it's worth it?

Also, I'd probably be using it at home, school, and maybe at other peoples houses

2. number84 macrumors 6502

personally i think if you already have a data plan with your iPhone or other smartphone and can tether/use hotspot, then no need for data on iPad.

if on the otherhand, you're like me, and you only have a company-issued (meaning locked-down) blackberry, then data on iPad would definitely come in handy.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Decide for yourself. Do you want to have data access everywhere, or are you happy with connecting to WiFi? It should not matter what other people have.

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

With 3G, no. I say that as someone who has a 3G iPad but wish I'd bought WiFi and saved the money.

With LTE, considering I live in the Bay Area, I'd spring for it.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Please point to Apple confirming this (or even the iPad 3). Rumors ARE not confirmation.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

The extra for a 3G iPad wasn't in my budget when I got my 16gb model, and I miss that much more than I do extra space. Especially because there's no contract - I wouldn't use it all the time, but I've had a few situations with no wifi while traveling when it would have been super useful to grab a $15 plan from AT&T for the month.

As soon as the 3 is jailbroken, I'm hoping to have the cash to upgrade to one with 3G after selling my 2.

(However, I don't have a smartphone to tether to.)

7. camardelle macrumors 6502

Too much free wi-fi to pay for a data plan, especially if you already have a plan for your phone I think.

8. iPhisch macrumors 6502

i'm thinking about springing for the extra storage space instead of data connectivity. my 16bg iPad2 has 5.5gb of apps on it, and i even deleted a few big games. retina display apps/games might be even bigger files.

9. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would get it with data but just because its cheaper than getting a data plan for my smart phone.

10. xA4Hx macrumors member

I plan to get 3G or lte model with 64 gigs . I might never use lte or I might barely use it but it's a nice option to have specially on vacation

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I bought an iPad 1 without data, then sold it two months later and bought another one with.

For me, 'always on' internet is the killer feature. I'm hoping that Apple start adding built in 3/4G to their laptops too.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The Wall Street Journal quoting a source is not a rumor.

13. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Even reported on the Fox Business News program today ;)

14. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

My 3G on Verizon is so painfully slow I feel like I just wasted money on MyWi (.12 mps on my phone, iPad won't even connect. I never get above about .6). I will definitely be getting one with data if it does have LTE in it.

15. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I don't have access to WiFi in as many places as a lot of other people do. I also travel by public transportation and am on the bus a lot. I am glad I have 3G service on my iPad2. I don't regret paying the extra for 3G.

16. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

My work just provided us with a free Mifi card/service, and I admit that it's quite nice to always have access.

However, getting a data enabled Ipad is an expensive option. Before receiving the Mifi bonus, I had data service. First, it's an extra $100 for the Ipad itself. Even the basic data plans, which won't allow you to do much more than e-mail and surf the web - definitely no media streaming - will be over $100 per year. As others have said, Wifi is now so available. Even when I travel (and I do a lot for business), I found there was Wifi much of the time. In theory, you can turn on/off, but I found the 30 day commitment was not flexible enough. Thus, I ended up not using the service. Before you make your purchase, do a little mental inventory of places you'd likely use an Ipad. How many of those are without Wifi?

Bottom line - it's a very nice option, but a pricey one. I assume that since you are asking the question $$ is an option.

17. dell who? macrumors member

It's a sad day any time Fox News is mentioned in a conversation regarding Apple...

On a more serious note, I've sold thousands of iPads to consumers, businesses, schools, and I'll give you the same advice I've given them: if you don't need internet when you're driving down the street or sitting on a park bench then don't bother with any 3G/4G capabilities. Even if wifi isn't available at every house/business you visit currently it'll be there soon enough.

18. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

If you buy a 3G/4G iPad and don't need the data, big deal, don't get a data plan. However, if you buy a wifi-only model and DO want 3G/4G data, you're out of luck.

I bought the iPad 1 wifi, because the only 3G available was AT&T and service sucked where I lived, so I had no need for it.

With the iPad 2, I decided to stay with the wifi-only model despite it being on Verizon because that was what I was used to.

I'm hoping that the iPad 3 will have a 32gb version for $499 to replace the 16g. In that case, I'm spending the extra $100 to get a 3G/4G version, because it would be nice to have. Sure, I can tether from my phone, but then I kill battery in both devices when I'm using them.

Then again, if you plan to keep your iPad at home, and home only, then there's no need to get data if you're going to be on wifi all the time.

19. mikepro macrumors 6502

Don't forget about GPS!

I'll probably get the WiFi only, but remember that only the 3G iPads have a GPS chip. So, if that is important to you (and the iPad 3 follows suit), then you need to get the 3G/LTE one to have GPS.

20. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

I have the wifi-only model of iPad, but I tether with my iPhone when I need Internet access outside wifi-zones. It's fast enough for me.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Quoting a source (AKA: people familiar with the matter) IS speculation and speculation IS rumor. The WSJ has a good rumor prediction record and I think LTE is likely/plausible. However until Apple has an official announcement/confirmation it is by definition a RUMOR.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Sorry, but you are applying the standards of a blog to the WSJ. If the WSJ claims to have confirmed the specs with multiple sources with direct knowledge of the specs, it is not speculation or a rumor. By definition, a rumor is unconfirmed. This report is confirmed.