Data overage after iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Todthebod, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Todthebod macrumors member

I have a 4s and hardly ever use data no over wifi. I bought the phone when it first came out and my average cellular data use was 200mb of my 2g plan. That's why I thought it was odd that I got a message from ATT about me going over my 2g only 10 days into my billing cycle. I updated to ios6 when it came out. Really the only thing that I have different is the podcast app. I've made sure it's set to only update with wi-fi. I've made sure that everything is wi-fi only. I'm not photo-streaming or doing anything to the cloud.

I check my usage times on the ATT website and it has stuff like sent data for 400mb. The time it shows would be while I'm asleep at home and connected to wifi. It also has some 80mb sends when I know I was in my car listening to a previously downloaded podcast. It shows 80mb sends here and there, a few 3mb sends, and every couple of days a big one like 200mb or 400mb. All are sent data and different times and about 75% are times when I know my phone is on wifi on my home network.

I'm just wondering if anyone else if having this trouble or could help me troubleshoot to find out what it is? I've deleted all my pictures and music off my phone just to see if it's trying to send those even though I have everything off or wifi only. My only next thing to do will be turn off cellular data. I've still got about 12 days in my billing cycle and am already almost at 3 gigs.

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

My son and I seem to be having the same problems. He's on a 4S, I have a 5. I've been blowing through data way faster than usual. I don't know how to troubleshoot it. If I ask AT&T for help I suppose they'll tell me to ask Apple if/why the phone is malfunctioning before they credit my account.

Eager to learn of the impressions of others on this subject.

3. tonedef407 macrumors regular

Same problem on AT&T. I'm also having a problem with wifi dropping when locked. It's driving me nuts and I'm on my third 5 for prior issues. I don't want to exchange if I don't have to. I hope 6.0.1 fixes some of this.

4. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

yikes. my GF on an iphone 4 is having the same issues. glad we're not the only ones..

apple had her turn off all sorts of things, but so far...not much different.
    now they're telling us to restore the phone, but NOT from it's backup.

worth trying? we went over with data 2 months...ugh.
    and she barely ever goes online, or downloads apps (and always on wifi).

5. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Having the same issue. Did you upgrade from betas?

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

iOS has always turned off wifi when locked. Wake it up and see the 3g/4g/whatever badge switch quickly to wifi.

Wifi is a power hog. You'd get terrible standby life if wifi was left always on.

Wifi IS left on if the device is plugged in and locked.

See this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2450738?start=1935&tstart=0

7. tonedef407 macrumors regular

You are probably right. I'm noticing it more because I have my cellular data off because of the leak running up my usage. I didn't put two and two together. So when I unlock it hits me with a bunch of data because it hasn't been connected to anything.

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Bingo! :)

9. Todthebod thread starter macrumors member

I'm just wondering what could hit me with a lump sum of 400 sent at one time? It can't be trying to send anything to my cloud because it still has 4.9g left out of 5.

Here's some examples.....

10/13 1:35pm sent 399mb I was at my kid's gym, connected to wifi, listening to a previously downloaded podcast.

10/14 1:24pm sent 145mb phone idling on home network

10/15 4:09pm sent 170mb In my car listening to previously downloaded podcast over bluetooth

10/16 12:05pm sent 351mb At home connected to network phone plugged in

I go from using 200mb/month to SENDING 2.6g in 18 days and I've changed nothing.

10. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I went over my data for the first time ever after upgrading to iOS 6. I pay for 2 gb and rarely use over 300mb. Last month I used 2500 mb. I think my problem was iTunes match. I had something like 47 songs in the download queue, essentially constantly using data. I also realize it takes me awhile to connect to WiFi after waking up. I'm constantly looking at the symbol in the upper left hand corner.

11. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm noticing this as well.

12. Todthebod thread starter macrumors member

Ok another update. I was at work where I barely get a signal anyway. I'd reset my cellular data usage counter on my phone earlier today so I could keep looking at it to maybe tell what's going on. At that time I was at 2.6g total for the month. At about 3am I get a text. I pick my phone up to read it and notice my phone is hot as hell which I thought was weird since it was sitting idle in my pocket. It was an auto ATT message saying I'm about to go over my overage. It says I'm at 2.81g. I check my usage on my phone (in the settings/general/usage/cellular data usage) and it says 2.2mb. Every app that I can turn off has been off. Itunes match is off (never been on). Nothing like that is on. I'll have to turn cellular data completely off but I'm not sure that will even fix it.

13. big samm macrumors 65816

Something is definitely wrong here... You should restore the phone to factory settings without restoring from a back up and see what happens.

14. thobie, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  15. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I reset my data two hours ago. I've been sleeping since with my phone asleep too and on wifi. In those 2 hours, 66 kb sent, 80 received. What the heck?

16. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

I wouldn't be concerned by 66kb, as that is only 0.0644531 mb.

17. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm not concerned about that amount, I'm concerned if that happens every 2 hours for 31 days.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

When the phone is asleep, it's on cellular.

----------

30 days, 24 hours, 124kb/2hrs. So you found 43MB of your 2100MB overage. What about the rest?

19. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for putting it in perspective.

20. chazcron macrumors member

From my perspective on a 200MB plan, that is 1/4 of my data sucked from my phone without my actively doing anything, with all cell data usage settings checked to OFF.

21. Todthebod thread starter macrumors member

Don't check the data usage that your phone keeps, check your service providers website or app. My phone said 2mb but the ATT site said I'd sent 220mb.

22. chazcron macrumors member

I just discovered that even Datawiz doesn't accurately reflect what AT&T counts.

one week on Datawiz: 32mb

same week on AT&T site: 14MB

Still leaves like 40MBs unaccounted for each billing period, but it is not as extreme as the iPhone counter or Datawiz

23. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I just checked my data usage. I used 78 mb of data according to AT&T in 1 day. I was on wifi literally that entire day. This morning I checked my AT&T app and it said I used 140mb of data so far this billing cycle (4 days). This evening it says I've used 1037 mb of my 2 gb. I checked the last 6 months of my billing statement, and I have not used over 1500 mb per 30 DAY CYCLE! Now I'm suddenly using as much as I used to use in 30 days in 4? Something's wrong. AT&T say it's not their fault. Apple's genius advice was to reset my phone. I am seriously thinking about returning the phone while I still can.

24. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

we're going to restore my GF's phone to factory settings (and NOT from her backup); this is apple's suggestion. will see if it changes anything.

crazy that she justs texts, and makes calls, but regularly, large chunks of data are moving from her phone. happening since she got it (iphone 4, may2012).
    ios 5 and now ios6...

ugh.

25. windowstomac macrumors regular

There seems to be a theory that you must get a "fix" from your service provider for this. How exactly does that work? I live in a country where I don't speak the language and dealing with cellphone providers can be annoying enough without that limitation....

Has anyone had and applied this "fix"?