Data plan covers AIM and Kik messaging correct?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by onthecouchagain, Jun 2, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Hi folks, long time lurker here.

I recently downgraded my family's plan from Talk and Text to just Talk since none of us truly text, and instead, I added an unlim. data plan to my line with an iphone 4...

The rep on the phone however told me something that's a little alarming but I don't believe is true. She strongly advised that I should have some sort of text plan, but I explained to her that there are apps that allow for free messaging which is what I plan to do -- things like AIM, gchat, Kik, Whatsapp, and the sort. She said messaging with those apps still count as texts per message send/receive, to which I told her I don't believe that's true.

To check, I asked her to see how much "texting" I've done this month so far, and she said 12. I've had my iphone for a few days now and I know I've sent and received way more than 12 "texts" via Kik (I should be well over 50. Been having conversations for days).

Just to confirm... those apps do use only data, correct?

2. MonkeySee...., Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Whatsapp 100% has nothing to do with text plans so i assume the others don't so its all related to your data plan :)

Sounds like the rep was BS

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Correct.

4. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thanks for the quick responses.

That's what I thought. Me thinks the lady was trying to get me to add features to my plan.