Data plan loss...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InvalidBassist, Jun 14, 2010.

1. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I went into the AT&T store to ask some questions about changing from PAYG to a post paid account and they told me that I would lose my unlimited data plan because I'd be essentially starting a new account. :(

Does anyone think its worth it to keep my PAYG plan with a $20 unlimited package and buy and iPhone 4 no commitment ($599)?

2. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

you can use pay as you go data on an iPhone??

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    You wont be able to get data on pay as you go.

4. InvalidBassist thread starter macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

I've had PAYG since the original iPhone, so I still have the $20 unlimited data plan. I've upgraded to a 3G (bought from a friend) and my data plan didn't change.

If I get an iPhone 4 no contract I could cut down my sim card and keep my data plan, right?

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

at&t stopped allowing iphones on pay-as-you-go sometime last year. if you still have yours for some reason, congratulations, you slipped through the cracks. i wouldn't expect the plan to carry over, though, if you upgrade to an iphone 4, even if you buy it off-contract.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Do the math. Are you saving anything on PAYG to make up for having to pay $400 more upfront? OTOH you could probably sell your iPhone 4 next year for $400, which would make your cost $199 and you could dive right into an iPhone 5 hassle free or jump ship if that option is available.

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I too was using a pay as you go sim card in my iPhone 3G with the $19.99 unlimited media net until I sold my sim card last month.

If you do change to a post paid, yes, you will lose the unlimited data since unlimited Media Net hasn't been offered in 1.5 years. Also, unlimited iPhone data is no longer sold as of June 6. Also, pay as you go unlimited Media Net is metered so that my actual download speeds on 3G were only about 200-400Kbps as compared to iPhone 3G data plans getting just under 3Mbps. Not worth $19.99. You could still use that sim in the iPhone 4 as long as you use a custom APN as I was doing with my 3G.

Do you have an original iPhone available? If so, you can sign up for a new iPhone account through iTunes and get a real unlimited iPhone data plan with it since the original iPhone is the only one that still allows unlimited data on new accounts. You would then be eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 4 and still keep your unlimited data plan that way though it would be $30 for the data plan.

8. InvalidBassist thread starter macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Yeah, I totally still have my original one.

Would I need a new sim to sign up for a new account? Or just choose set up as a new iPhone in iTunes?

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, you would need a never been used before sim card to activate the original iPhone on a new account.

I highly recommend this way and getting an actual iPhone data plan. I was so tired of AT&T throttling the unlimited Media Net that I didn't use it at all since December but renewed it every four months to keep the account open till I decided to sell it.

You can sell that GoPhone sim card, I got $50 for mine. It included the unlimited Media net and PYP for $49.99. Only problem with mine was that the rate plan could never be changed without losing the unlimited Media Net since both PYP and unlimited Media net are no longer offered.

10. swoop007 macrumors newbie

For what it is worth, I called At&t's customer support line (from the website) this past saturday and was told that any service a customer was using which is then no longer offered to new customers can be "grandfathered" over to your account when you sign up/renew for another 2 years. Andrew from At&t also said the only way I would lose the unlimited data would be if I specifically told them I wanted one of the new options.

I'm going to be pissed if that changes tomorrow morning.....

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

AT&T will honer this but as with the OP, they won't allow him to keep the unlimited Media Net and transfer that to a post paid account since the unlimited hasn't been offered in 1.5 years. A new account needs to be created and in doing so, he would lose the unlimited Media Net.

With your current iPhone plan, there is no need to create a new account since you are simply upgrading and so the unlimited data is able to stay on the account.

12. InvalidBassist thread starter macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

So a new sim and new account means I lose my number, right? Sadness.

Also, once you activate a new account with an iPhone doesn't it start a 2 year commitment?