Data Plan mandatory, wtf?!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by n8236, Aug 6, 2012.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I purchased two Windows 7 phones for mom/pop from eBay (w/o contract) and AT&T is requiring them to have data plans on them. The rep says, if it's a smart-phone, it requires data. Simple as that.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this? It's absurd they're requiring data on it when my folks don't use 1 bit. I have data turned off on both phones.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is no way around it - they will add the plan.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This is pretty standard across all major carriers, at least in the US
    Not sure why it would be a surprise

4. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

It is a bit of a surprise. Just the lack of option to opt out of data is a bit shocking. I know AT&T wants $, but some people just don't use data...

My folks don't nor know how to. I would assume some older generation peeps wouldn't either.

I have now switched that line to a pay-per-data-use plan. It's not perfect, but that'll have to do...

5. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I guess I would have been surprised, too. I fully understand and expect it when you buy a subsidized phone from a carrier, but I didn't think it necessarily applied when you bring your own phone. Certainly the carrier's logic of "we have to make back our money somehow" does not apply.

Regards,
    Tom

6. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

When i had AT&T i put my sim in a non-smart phone and activated it. Then i put it in my 3GS and i didnt have data.

obviously this is a long time ago when the 3gs first came out so i dont know if it will still work.