Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I purchased two Windows 7 phones for mom/pop from eBay (w/o contract) and AT&T is requiring them to have data plans on them. The rep says, if it's a smart-phone, it requires data. Simple as that.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get around this? It's absurd they're requiring data on it when my folks don't use 1 bit. I have data turned off on both phones.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
It is a bit of a surprise. Just the lack of option to opt out of data is a bit shocking. I know AT&T wants $, but some people just don't use data...

My folks don't nor know how to. I would assume some older generation peeps wouldn't either.

I have now switched that line to a pay-per-data-use plan. It's not perfect, but that'll have to do...

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I guess I would have been surprised, too. I fully understand and expect it when you buy a subsidized phone from a carrier, but I didn't think it necessarily applied when you bring your own phone. Certainly the carrier's logic of "we have to make back our money somehow" does not apply.

Regards,
Tom

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
When i had AT&T i put my sim in a non-smart phone and activated it. Then i put it in my 3GS and i didnt have data.

obviously this is a long time ago when the 3gs first came out so i dont know if it will still work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.