data plan needed in JB/unlocked phone??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sampsonti, Apr 15, 2011.

1. sampsonti macrumors newbie

I have gotten my hands on a iphone 3gs which I have JB and unlocked. Simple question for the experts....to use texting, do I need a data plan with AT &T:confused:

and if not, how do I get a text through...its telling me I dont have a data plan..or something like that

thanks

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

if its an att iphone, then att will recognize the iphone as theirs and require a data plan

3. sampsonti thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answer. It doesnt say AT&T on it but it takes a sims card so it has to be an AT&T one??

I put the sims card in and turn it on. Try send text but it doesnt go through. Gives me a mesage that i do not have a data plan.....when does AT&T recognize????

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Texts have nothing to do with it. But like mentioned above if you're on monthly Plan their system will detect you're using an iPhone without the appropriate data Plan and they will automatically add it to your account.

5. sampsonti thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, i get that but is there a reason my texting is not working:confused::confused:

6. Ponchobot macrumors member

You don't have texting on your plan? Data plan would not affect the text messaging because the text messaging doesn't use data to be sent/received.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

are you sure that's the case?

i know in Canada the only way they'll force you to sign a data plan is if you're getting a smartphone at a discount.

if you buy the phone without a contract, then they can't automatically add anything.

but if what you're saying is true, then that's just really stupid.

8. sampsonti thread starter macrumors newbie

So, now texting is going through..weird. I assume at some point AT&T will text me adding data to my plan as I am using the 3GS now. Thanks for asnswering.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very sure, I know in Canada and in many other countries they dont rip off the wireless consumer as bad as they do in the US.:D