Data plan negotiable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twoody, Jan 13, 2011.

1. twoody macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    Forum newby here, I have been reading up quite a bit on the forum, trying to decide on new phones. We are current AT&T customers, but not in contract, and have no data plans. We are leaning towards staying with AT&T, and getting the Iphone 4. We have had no problems with service or reception up to this point. The dilemma is that through my wifes job, we can get the discount for both AT&T(17%) and Verizon (24%). Is there any chance that if I go to the AT&T store, and ask for an unlimited plan, or I'll go to Verizon, they would budge on that? Would anyone have the authority to do that, or would it not even be worth asking about? I doub't we would go over the 2Gb, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it.
    -woody

2. vachargerfan macrumors regular

you will not get an unlimited plan through AT&T

3. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Maybe Verizon will have unlimited data, but not AT&T

5. huskerchad macrumors regular

I have seen several people say they were able to get the unlimited plan after it was supposed to be made unavailable. They all fell into two categories though

1. People using an older device to get on an unlimited plan that is still offered, then swapping back to their iPhone 4 and being auto-upgraded to the iPhone unlimited plan. AFAIK this no longer works (but maybe some are still having success).

2. People who had unlimited in the past and were able to convince someone to swap them back to it.

In the end, this is business, so everything is negotiable--you just need to find someone willing to negotiate on your terms. I have always had better luck at the physical stores than with anyone on the phone. Just tell them you are willing to plop down X hundred dollars and sign a 2 year contract, as long as they will give you unlimited data to match what Verizon is offering. The worst they can do is say no (but probably offer you something else instead).

6. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Verizon iPhone. If only to get better call quality.

For the most part, when the data works, it works well. Then there are just times it's probably so congested, I might as well have Airplane Mode on.

But, in terms of data plan negotiability, the first carrier that offers a shared/family data plan will be the one that wins me and my five lines over. I'm hoping that would be AT&T, as I wouldn't have to sell all my iPhones off.

There are times when I could easily hit over 2GB, but my wife barely scratches 500MB (too little for the 2GB plan, and too much for the 200MB plan). My kids don't have data plans on their iPhone 2Gs, as they only use the Wi-Fi I give them, either at the house, or with my Clear iSpot 4G. But, having a shared data plan can answer all our issues in one shot.

I hope someone at either carrier is listening here.

7. aneftp macrumors 68040

Data plan is not negotiable with Apple iPhone.

If you threaten to leave ATT, they will show you the door. They don't care.

Highly unlikely to go over 2GB unless you plan on streaming music/video all day long.

I use slingbox (live streaming TV). Obviously I don't watch it all day, but I watch it for 30 minutes here and there and the most I get to is about 1.5GB.

But if you are streaming music 10 hours a day you will encounter over 2GB data because ATT expect you to use your own wifi.

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I'm doubtful, but if you manage, let us know. If it were me, I'd wait until verizon announces more firmly what their data plans will be and try. You're not on a contract, they may do it to keep you.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

If you have original iPhones, you might be able to use those to get unlimited on your line. Do a search on the forums, there is a thread that explains how to do this.

10. Clear4G macrumors newbie

Clear4G

It looks like AT&T and Verizon are only moving further and further away from unlimited plans. Clear is proud to continue to offer unlimited plans - at 4G speed. Even though the iSpot is no longer available, what I have always used for my iPad is the Clear Spot 4G because I can get the mobile internet I regularly pay for -at unlimited downloads- and just add on my iPhone or iPad. Seems like this is the way to go if you don't want to have to worry about data overages! But I do work for Clear, so I guess I'm biased a little bit :)

Lucile at Clear
    twitter.com/clear

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I can confirm this is still possible, I did it about a week ago.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I fell into category 2.

They do care. It depends on the person you speak with; their attitude and your attitude.

I did this two days ago (day of Verizon iPhone announcement). I had the unlimited data plan from the original iPhone and last May switched it to the 200MB plan because all I had was Edge so I was throwing money away on a data plan I could hardly use. But then a few days before this last Christmas AT&T turned 3G on by me and then I upgraded to the 2GB plan.

When the Verizon announcement came I called AT&T seeking to have my unlimited plan reinstated. I mentioned Verizon only once, but didn't threaten to leave. Instead I was able to convince them to reinstate it because of having Edge for so long.

They took care of it right on the spot and I am back to unlimited data for $30. It helped that I was an existing customer who previously had the unlimited plan. It's doubtful that a new customer could pull that off though.