Data plan question regarding 3g vs. wifi usage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rowuncw, Apr 5, 2011.

1. rowuncw macrumors newbie

Hi all. I have a quick question about the iPad 2 data plans. Apologies in advance if it's been answered before.

I want to purchase the Wifi+3g model, and the vast majority of my iPad usage will be in my home, which has wireless. So I would leave 3g turned off most of the time to conserve data, or inactivate my plan all together unless I go on a trip or something. For both AT&T and Verizon, there is some small print that seems to suggest that the data allocation each much "includes wi-fi browsing". Does this mean that data usage over a wireless network counts toward my 3g data usage, even if 3g is turned off or inactive? I can't imagine that it does, but I just want to be sure.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Data over wifi should not count as part of your 3G use. I'm not sure how they could even charge you for wifi in your own home.

3. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

As long as you turn off the 3g your data will not count toward your monthly usage. However if you were to leave it on while using wifi it may end up using some of the data.

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

True true, but I'm sure I've seen posts on here claiming they've been charged for 3G while on wi-fi, but I'm in the pub now and can't be arsed to search for them (although pub does have wi-fi so should be free :) )

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think that might mean that if there's a day in which you use nothing but Wifi data, it counts against your usage time limit. In other words, you pay for a month a service, and are only on 3G for 25 of those 30 days. Your service still expires at day 30, not day 35.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Cell companies can't tell when you're doing data over wifi, they can only see data that got sent over 3G. Makes it hard for them to charge you for it. :)

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

It DOES NOT count. If you are using wifi you will not lose any 3G data. I leave 3G turned off anyway just to conserve the battery as I only need it periodically.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Isn't that what I said? :confused:

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

No. You said it should not count. That is different than it does not count, as the later implies certainty, while your statement implies doubt.

"Will this cut off my finger?"

"It shouldn't."

"It will not."

Just sayin.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ah good to know. I'm sure my comment led to much confusion. Thank goodness you cleared that one up for me. ;)

11. goMac macrumors 603

[​IMG]

12. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Or I was just trying to give the OP a definitive answer to their question. Rather than an "i don't think so" equivalent.

13. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well, juding by the OP's response, he still had some doubts.