Data Plan Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benk87, Jun 13, 2008.

1. benk87 macrumors newbie

I am in the market for the Iphone. I know that the new one will be out soon, but I figured that I would get a good deal on an older Iphone. I currently am a customer with AT&T, the problem is that I dont pay the bill. This fact alone is why I dont want to add the data plan to the phone. Like others, I am satisfied with the wifi and have no need for EDGE (especially since I live on a college campus). When I buy the Iphone I will probably jail break it. Is there anything that I could possibly do to halt the iPhone so that it wont constantly be looking for the EDGE network? I would like to completely disable the EDGE feature so that I wont get charged for it and be able to keep the current set up that our account has. I basically dont even want to touch the way that we are currently billed. Any help would be appreciated and flaming is prohibited. Thanks

Ben

2. danny_w macrumors 601

You can have AT&T block all EDGE data from the account, and also cancel the data plan, after the first month (or maybe the first day). This to me would be preferable to jailbreaking the phone.

3. benk87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Data Plan

What about this. When I get the Iphone, can I jailbreak it right off the bat and not activate it with Itunes.. (I think they have software where you dont have to activate the phone over itunes). Then put my sim card in. Call AT&T, have the restrict access to the EDGE network. Then call it good?

Thanks,
    Ben

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

It doesn't sound like it will work that way because you will have to activate it in store.[/I}

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I think he's talking about the current iPhone.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Oh, wow...my bad. Yeah i think that might be possible.

7. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

8. danny_w macrumors 601

But that only affects international roaming. It would be nice if there were also a setting to disable EDGE entirely, but to do this I think you have to call AT&T and have them put a block on your line.