Data plan question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brave93, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Brave93 macrumors newbie

Brave93

I do not currently have a smart phone. Just how much data is 200mb and I'm trying to figure out if that will be enough for me. I'll do the occasional surfing, GPS, online aps and when I'm at home I can be on my own network.

Can anyone give me an idea of comparison to know if this will meet my needs?

TIA.

2. Resist macrumors 68030

You will not tap into your data plan if you are on Wifi. But 200MB is not a lot, unless you never download video or pictures on the Edge or 3G networks. You can try that plan and see how you do though. Just remember you will end up paying a premium if you go over.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

You can start out with a low plan and ramp up as you figure out your usage. AT&T will let you do this and retroactively bill you accordingly.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

200mb a month is for those who won't barely use the data except maybe to check their email.

AT&T said that if you end up going over the 200mb plan, that you can go up to the 2gb plan.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

The 200MB plan is kind of pointless for an iPhone. If you only have a smart phone to make calls and check your email, then you might as well get a Blackberry instead of an iPhone.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I disagree. 200mb is plenty for some people. Many apps don't even use the internet. Or maybe some people have consistent access to wifi. ;)

A smartphone is smart. It doesn't need a data plan to operate. Now with iOS4 you can even turn data off! :)

7. Centient macrumors 6502

Agreed. Wi-Fi is becoming pretty ubiquitous. There are lots of people who can go most of the day without using anything but available Wi-Fi.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Exactly. With hotspots popping up everywhere from cars to wireless boxes, to city-wide installs to "free use" inside businesses, data plans are becoming less needed.

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Well Wifi is not as prevalent, if you live in the country. And I still think the 200MB plan is nearly not enough.

10. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Maybe less needed for some, but not for those who don't like just jumping on any network and sending their data.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

My work has wifi literally everywhere, as do I at home. Therefore I chose the 200MB plan. I may upgrade to the 2GB plan if it looks like 200MB won't be enough but I think it will suffice.