Data plan quote from Local AT&T store $35 vs. $30

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dp135, Jun 16, 2008.

1. dp135 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I note everyone is using the price point of $30.00 for data but today I went to my local AT&T to see what the family plans would be if I combined my husband/children's plans with myself (currently ending a Verizon 2yr plan) into an AT&T family plan. I said as we talked ...well the data plan is going to be 30.00 right? He said well no, it's actually going "up a bit" to 35.00 with 45.00 for business.

While I realize that he might just be flat out incorrect, I wondered if anyone else ran into such a quote?

He also said that the Apple stores would be able to activate but not change the various plans etc as I seem to need. He said I'd be best to wait till I am buying the IPhone 3g to do all the changes. There was no suggestion to set up now.

It wasn't a high pressure sales pitch and he did not ask me to take a card or anything so I left thinking he had nothing to gain by telling me what he did.

I'll see what happens when they announce or in July but just wondered if anyone else got this from AT&T.

Thanks
    Dorothy

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Current iPhone plan:
    $20 for unlimited internet and 200 text messages

3G iPhone plan:
    $30 for unlimited internet only
    $35 for unlimited internet and 200 text messages

3. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Get your facts from the AT&T website, not a store employee.

And as the above post points out, the $35 is the price with SMS (not required). I pay $30 to cover unlimited SMS on all my family plan phones. What the above post doesn't point out is that $30 data + additional $$ for SMS is pretty much industry standard smartphone rates for U.S. carriers. Instead of iPhone users getting a deal on the rates, we get the same as everyone else.

4. dp135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much! That's good news. I had specifically told him NO text messages for me and even repeated it. But I guess it was just a misunderstanding.

My apologies for not having seen this information previously on the forum when I searched.

Dorothy

5. mb2008 macrumors regular

If you are bringing over "conquest" users from Verizon, you will might get a better deal if you start a new family plan with their phones, and then move your line to that family plan. Your AT&T store should be able to talk you through this.

6. AustinD macrumors regular

How about for unlimited data and unlimited texts?

7. dp135 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm not even sure as to what that is. I am just moving over my standalone acct. There are 3 accounts on AT&T now : 2 on a family that the kids share and my husband has a 29.00 a month 200 min/no rollover type one. I went there today before the crowds to look at options of combining things to our best possible advantage based on family use.

skwoytek thank you as well for your information. I had stressed with no text to him but he must have made a mistake. I had apparently missed that breakdown on the AT&T site last I had looked.

I'll be sure to be careful with comparing the official documents before doing anything in July. Thanks again.

Dorothy

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

$30 unlimited data
    $20 unlimited text
    $99 unlimited voice
    ---------------------------
    $149 unlimited everything

Not bad considering I used to pay $149 just to have enough voice minutes.

9. tritonj macrumors 6502a

but back then the phone was also the size of a brick, lol ;)

10. AustinD macrumors regular

WOW
    $20 is a bit more than I expected, sooo glad i picked a summer job.

Thanks for the info skwoytek, whorehay and everyone!

11. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

anyone who half way texts would be crazy not to get the unlimited texting

12. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

if I don't sign up for the unlimited text (which I do right now with the $20 iPhone Plan) how much will per text cost me (I don't do a lot of texting)?

13. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That's been the same price for every single AT&T phone.