Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skythefly13, Jun 7, 2007.

1. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

So I know it's likely there will be data plans made specifically for the iPhone, but does this mean you HAVE to get one to use all of the internet features? I can just use wifi only....right? :rolleyes:

2. neven macrumors 6502a

No one knows.

Scenario 1: iPhone plans are very much a la carte, and you can add only the services you need.

Scenario 2: there are very few iPhone plans (perhaps only one or two) and they include everything under the sun.

I can think of reasons why it could go either way, so I'm not predicting anything.

3. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

From my understanding, you will be able to use WiFi when in range as your internet connection. Although, I think it is somewhat of a waste to have all of the features of the iphone and not have some sort of data plan.

4. appledrummer macrumors member

Is it going to be REQUIRED to sign up for service at the apple store and/or an AT&T store right when you buy it there? Or can you do it at a later time?

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, IF the iPhone is available through store.apple.com, then you could expect that activation could be done over the phone or a walk-in at a AT&T store (or even an :apple: Store?).

The idea of online activation appeals to me, though, regardless of the portal (attws.com or apple.com or even ITMS). I hate dealing with the lame process at the cell phone stores.

6. neven macrumors 6502a

Apple store employees have allegedly been informed that the setup process would be extremely simple. That and the fact that they haven't even begun training them on setting up a cellphone plan tells me that there will be very little in-store setup. Really impatient customers and those who for whatever reason can't set up their iPhone online from home will be given the option of doing it on an in-store computer, much like they do now with Juniper Visa applications.

Just a guess, of course...

7. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

I think there were rumors going around that mentioned a data plan being required. That would make the iPhone and its monthly plan *really* expensive.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

The impression I get is a data contract will be required. Some people have even speculated the phone won't even properly work for the most part without access to the AT&T Data network.

9. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Yeah thats an easy process. I took a co-worker to the Apple Store who decided to get an Apple account. An hour and a half and 3 tries later, he was still answering questions about his 3rd grade teachers first husbands middle name.

I sure hope this is an easier process.

BTW, add a hint of sarcasm to this post....

10. neven macrumors 6502a

I never said the iPhone activation process would be similar to the Juniper application in its ease. I said it would be similar in that you would be offered an in-store computer to do it on.

Apple doesn't control your credit application, and they probably won't control your credit check for a new plan either. They just give you the convenience of filling it out yourself rather than dictating it to a sloppy sales person who's going to take forever and screw up your info.

You'll be filling out a credit application either way - just because it's Apple, that doesn't mean you get to walk in and say, hey, hook me up with a two-year plan, I'm a very trustworthy person.