All iPads data question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walkerholt16, Feb 13, 2013.

1. walkerholt16 macrumors newbie

Hi all.
    My younger brother is autistic and we got him an ipad mini for christmas. It is the cellular ipad. I'm sure this question has been asked a bunch but i had trouble finding anything.

We got the cellular ipad so he could use it in the car and watch movies on the go and what not. That being said, that isnt the case very often at all. he is on wifi at the house a large majority of the time. But his data this month and last month have been through the roof.

there are 6 devices on my account. 2 iphones, 2 ipad minis, and 2 ipads. All cellular. All the ones that came out in late 2012. last month and this month the other 5 are all between .5 GB and 1.5 GB....his is between 9.0GB and 11.0GB...

Being autistic (he doesn't speak) it is hard to communicate what he is doing on there. Does anyone have any ideas on what could rack that much up? He doesnt have any email. Could something maybe be turned on that shouldn't be? or can anyone tell me the 'apps' or actions that really pull the most data?

He really loves the ipad. It is the absolute perfect gift for him, and we want him to enjoy it. It just seems like those numbers are quite high, and something may not be right. Especially when the rest of us all use our devices plenty and arent too 'data conscious'. Any info is greatly appreciated!

-Walker

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Is it possible he could be using it outside the range of your wifi network? Watching just a few movies over cellular can rack up data use very quickly. If he is using it at home most of the time, you could turn off cellular data--then turn it on when you leave the house.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

That was my thought as well. Where are these movies coming from? Are they preloaded in the iPad or is he watching Netflix, YouTube or such. You can rack up usage fast being online on video heavy sites.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

There are a number of sites that offer free TV shows and sometimes even movies that are playable on an iPad. In addition he could be on youtube or watching a lot movie trailers on the "trailers" app. Hard to say, but I'd turn off the cellular data, or you could remove the sim card if you think he may turn it back on. He'll still be able to watch anything he wants over wifi.