Data question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Feb 8, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

This is a bit off topic... But does anyone know how much data a security camera uses if it is steaming the video. We need to get a security camera set up in a location that doesn't have wifi. I'm wondering if a hotspot will work..: and not require lte speeds.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I saw a video awhile back, I think on CNET, about using an iPhone 4/4s as a security camera. You can check around there or youtube. idk if that would answer your question.

I would think it would eat up a lot, depending on connection. If it's over LTE or 3G.

3. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

Depends on the app and the resolution the camera is set to.

Higher resolution will take more data.

I assume since you'll have a power outlet there, a device like Airport express may work to extend wifi range?

4. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I think what the OP wants to do is set up an IP camera on an area with no WiFi and use his iPhone/iPad as a hotspot.

As for an app to use an iPhone/iPad as a security camera, manything works great, saves all the footage on a cloud, and is free.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will use lots of data. Any type of Video streaming is a data hog.

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The ones I used to use at one place were set to activate and record only on motion and those uploaded about 15 gigabytes per month to a remote server on the Internet. And of course you will also use up some of your data allowance anytime you replay or download any of the stored video clips.

You can reduce the resolution to conserve data usage. But, keep in mind that you'll lose clarity and detail doing that. So for example, it could mean the difference between knowing who the camera saw, or just knowing that some guy broke in and had dark or blonde or whatever color hair.

The data usage above that I quoted was using 640 x 480 resolution. And only 2 cameras.

That was also residential. So if you are putting it in a high traffic area, then it will capture more video and use more data.

If you want to record continuously, then you better have an unlimited account or be extremely wealthy.

7. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

We have streamed our Go Pro cameras at 1080 and 4k using Verizon 4G LTE and both times a huge amount of data (5GB) was consumed during the 10 minute test period. We also tried it with 3G and it wasn't fast enough.

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

you are referring to "Manything" I use this app everyday and love it!