Data Recovery for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Stig, Mar 30, 2010.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Hey,

I'm looking for a FREE data recovery app for os x to recover data from a NTFS hard drive. The hard has lost it's volume and will not mount and I've tried some other programs and I can see the files but I can't get them off because every program I've tried isn't free and won't let me copy them off. I've tried looking for one but I can't seem to find a good one. I just want to copy off the files and then I'll wipe the drive and fix the parition.

Thanks,

The Stig

If you know of a free windows program let me know also and I'll figure something out.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just googled "ntfs data recovery freeware" (without the quotes) and found quite a lot of hits.

My suggestion is to start your analysis with google.

3. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

That isn't very helpful.

Has anybody used one before for OS X that worked well? The drive won't mount but the files are all still there.

Thanks,

The Stig

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There aren't any good free recovery tools, imo. If it's not worth paying for, it's not worth the trouble of trying to half-ass it with the various clownware out there.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

pirisoft's recuva worked for me. it's a windows program.

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

I've solved a very similar situation by using TestDisk. It is free and available for multiple platforms, OSX and Windows among others.

It is pretty hardcore though... Unless things've changed since I used it, one really needs to understand what it's doing to use it safely.