Data Recovery from Formatted Drive (Fat32-->HFSX)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LookingThru, Nov 21, 2013.

1. LookingThru macrumors newbie

This is what happened. I thought I had back up files for those that were in the HD so I allowed time machine to reformat it from a FAT32 to an HFSX, and back up the computer.

I know mine may be a hopeless case, but I want to know if there's a program that allows me to scan the unallocated space and see if my old files are still there. So far I've used programs that seem to be only recovering the ones that are currently in the HD. Or does this mean that my files have likely been overwritten?

Please, I need help.

2. 300DDR macrumors member

300DDR

Use a Data Rescue 3 "Deleted Files" scan. Only scans the unallocated space and will provide "raw" results (no folder structure or file names, organized by filetypes).

3. Derrick456 macrumors newbie

Never format a drive without data backups again.
    And then, use a third-party data recovery tool, like Recuva, iCare Data Recovery Free, Power Data Recovery and more to restore all your lost data back.
    Note: Never rewrite this formatted drive with anything in case of further data loss.
    Save all restored data on another drive or location in case of data recovery failure.