Data Recovery from iPad in recovery mode?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kris.phidelity, Nov 6, 2010.

1. kris.phidelity macrumors newbie

We are in the middle of traveling and my wifes Ipad is acting up. Since shes used it to store a majority of her pictures restoring it isnt our first choice as she hasnt had a computer to back it up to since she left a month ago.

Right now its caught in a recovery mode loop, I tried to manually kick it out of recovery mode, as well as using applications like recboot, and iRecover etc etc to no avail.

I used iRecover to set the auto-boot to true and it fails and brings me back to the plug into itunes screen. When I load iRecover the error I get is "kernal image not valid"

So my question is: is there ANYTHING i can do to get the data off this iPad? would jailbreaking this work? (3.2.2) Are there any Linux apps to mount this as an external device?

We will be in Bangkok next week but are afraid to have an overzealous apple employee restore the ipad and wipe everything on it.

thanks
    kris

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If you've tried the whole hard boot etc routines then the data is very possibly already gone. Suppose you could just do without it for the rest of the trip and try a data recovery center when you get home. You might get lucky.

Traveling without a backup plan like iCloud or uploading photos at least to Dropbox or such was probably not a good plan. Hopefully you aren't SOL on what was on the iPad