Data Recovery in Mac OS

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Downloaded, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Downloaded macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

So my girlfriend is not the most computer savvy person and accidentally deleted a bunch of photos from her hard drive (yes, she then also proceeded to empty the recycle bin :rolleyes:) and now we're trying to figure out a way to get them back. She had them all backed up on an external and apparently deleted the wrong folder in confusion while trying to free up some space. I'm not generally a Mac user so I thought it would be wise to ask you all about what the best options for data recovery are on Macs. She has a MacBook Pro...the first generation of unibodies, I believe, and I think she is running Snow Leopard. We would prefer not to spend money on the process but if the definitive option for data recovery can only be bought I guess we're willing to take the plunge. Any advice or help you may have to offer would be great!

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash, you can use
    Data Rescue 3 (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 99 USD) or
    FileSalvage (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 89.95 USD).
    DiskDrill - lets you recover data from HFS/HFS+, FAT, NTFS & other file systems right on your Mac., for free.​

Also know, that you should immediately stop any writing processes to the actual HDD. If it is the same HDD as the one your operating system (OS) resides on, it is better to use an external HDD with Mac OS X on to boot from and install Data Rescue or FileSalvage onto to scan the HDD from which the data has been accidentally deleted.