Data Recovery Problem!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zenvision, Feb 9, 2008.

1. zenvision macrumors regular

ok, basically my recently purchased 1tb mybook has gone on the blink, meaning i cant access the 200 gigs or so of organized music files (as in they were correctly filed in folders of genre, album etc...yes im a geek)...i ran data rescue II and it seems like its found all the files (phew), but unfortunately it has listed the 30,000 or so mp3s alphabetically rather than recovered them how they were originally filed and organized

rather than recover the files as they are (and spend months trying to get them organized again)...is there another program like data rescue II that can recover my data as it was, folders and all?

im open to windows programs too, as i can try and do it through fusion on vista

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. bekabug macrumors newbie

If you're tagging your MP3s, shouldn't iTunes be able to re-folder your music?

3. zenvision thread starter macrumors regular

ive been tagging them, but a lot aren't, which is annoying but going through 30,000 files will take a long time...

also, i HATE the way itunes organizes files, I always have that turned off and do it myself (looks like ill have to again!)

there must be some software that can help? i remember using one for PC a couple of years ago that worked quite well...though I can't remember what it was called :/

4. bekabug macrumors newbie

I've heard that a lot about iTunes but never understood what the issue was, so maybe one day you can enlighten me. Until then, I'd jump on Version Tracker and see what there was out there for mac and pc to rearrange your collection.

Good luck :)

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Try TechTool Pro (not the Deluxe Applecare version, which I don't believe does recovery). It has a data recovery feature that will attempt to extract data with the directory structure intact.

I had reason to use it recently, and it did more or less work. I believe DataRescue II's algorithm is better, so depending on how bad the damage is TechTool Pro may or may not get at as much of the data.