data recovery service in boston needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andiwm2003, Oct 20, 2009.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hi all,

after giving my girlfriend 3 times USB sticks (at the time they were still expensive), an external HD (that she somehow misplaced), her IT group giving her a HD (that she doesn't use) and asking her to email me important files (what she never did) she finally dropped her thinkpad T61 from the second floor stairs without any backup. this is of course my fault because it happened at 5:30am while i was sleeping.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for a data recovery service in Boston that can recover data from a broken HD? even if it's expensive?

please help!

Thanks!

2. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Are you sure the HDD is broken? Have you tried putting it in a caddy and seeing if it works?

3. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thinking about it..LOL

anyway, i don't want to spin the drive up and cause more damage. we plan to drop the computer off with tech fusion in cambridge ma.

does anybody have experience with them?

we expect to pay between $750 and $2500 for the recovery. and yes, it's worth it to do this. even if it obviously wasn't worth the 20 sec and $20 for a USB stick backup.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No personal experience, but one of my friends went with them. He didn't have any major complaints.

As far as being "worth it"- tell her that if it's not worth backing up, it's not worth paying for recovery ;-)

5. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks, I'll tell her as soon as I have a back up girl friend because I'm pretty sure I'll need one after saying that.

6. GS Owner macrumors member

I don’t know about you, but I don’t think you’re using enough Flash Drives.
    I keep a 32GB installed at the rear of my iMac; it NEVER comes out. In a USB Hub I ALWAYS have 3 or 4 more Flash Drives - FD’s - installed:

FD1: The latest backup files go here.
    FD2: Every other day FD1 is Fully copied into FD2
    FD3: The 32GB Drive. Call it 32R. Every week or two Every File is copied into FD3. FD3 is also often used to hold Temp Files before they are moved to other FD’s.
    FD4: A 16GB that was replaced by FD3. They are twins except for the latest files. If I go somewhere I take this FD with me.

In a carrying case there are 4 more FD’s. They are copies of every FD except for 32R.

I had a disaster last night with FD’s – FD2 and 32R - getting erased. I’d hate to think what things would be like if I didn’t have so many spare FD’s with me.