Data recovery services (in London)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Topher15, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Can anyone recommend a reasonable (i.e. cheap as possible) data recovery service (London or UK based).

Here's what happened:

About two weeks ago my MacBook fell off the bed and immidiatley froze.

I restarted the computer and nothing happened. I turned it on a second time and the drive spun, but again nothing happened.

Since then the drive does not spin at all, but does make a faint clicking sound - it sounds like it is trying to spin. When I took the drive out and shook it (very very lightly) I could hear a rattle.

It looks like there is physical damage. :(

I emailed a data recovery service for a quote and based on the info I provided they said the "hard drive may be suffering from an electro-mechanical failure combined with bad sectors and unreadable blocks on your hard drive." (Any idea what this means?)

Their very rough estimate is £450 to £850 + VAT.

To be honest it's not the end of the world if I can't get the stuff back, but it would be nice. If I could get it recovered for less than £300 (£350 max) then I'll do it. Is this wishful thinking or it is not out of the realms of possibility? Really the main stuff I want back are documents - no more than a few megabytes.

I plan to try to use Disk Warrior or other recovery software to see I can possibly create a disk image of the drive to work from. If not I'll focus on finding a data recovery company.

As for why I didn't backup. My main computer is my iMac, which is well backed up. I rarely used my MacBook for critical / big work so I just manually transfer stuff over every now and then. I was planning to transfer data over to my iMac just before the drive died.

Anyway, thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's wishful thinking. Professional data recovery services are expensive.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Is this wishful thinking or it is not out of the realms of possibility?"

Agree with post #2.

Data recovery by professional firms is generally VERY expensive. If you do the damage, and want the data back, they're going to make you PAY to have it back.

Best advice I can give:
    If it's not "the end of the world" to lose the stuff on that drive, don't bother with a data recovery service. It's just not worth it (again, unless you absolutely _have to have_ the data back).