Data Recovery Software???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dziga, Sep 29, 2009.

1. dziga macrumors newbie

I cannot believe I am actually in this position, but I accidentally reformatted my lacie 1TB external HD. The files were not overwritten as it was the most basic and quick format option, but they are not accessible.

Can anyone recommend a good data recovery app that works for OS X?

Anyone know what the best course of action would be?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't use the drive and try something like Data Rescue II.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

RE: Data Recovery Software???

RE:
    "Don't use the drive and try something like Data Rescue II."

Here's one more recommendation for Data Rescue II.

If there is anything that can get your files back, this is it.

IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT
    Do not, do not, DO NOT do ANYthing that would "write to" the mistakenly-formatted drive. Put it aside for the moment and leave it be.

Also very important, and it's going to cost you:
    DR2 isn't going to work unless you have ANOTHER drive large enough to receive the files (this is separate from the problem drive). So you're going to have to buy ANOTHER 1.0tb drive, or a drive big enough to let DR2 do its work. You'd probably be best just to buy another 1.0tb drive. I would recommend a 7200rpm Seagate SATA 3.5" Barracuda as one of the more reliable drives out there. Try newegg.com.

You may be thinking, "I don't feel like spending the money for that". My response is, do you want the files back? Or don't you?

I would recommend that you buy yourself a "bare" SATA hard drive (i.e., not one that's already in an enclosure). Then, get yourself a SATA-to-USB2 "docking station". To see what these are, go here:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=sata+dock&x=0&y=0
    Here's a preview of how they work (and the CoolDrives docking station looks to be a good buy):
    http://www.cooldrives.com/satadock.html

Be prepared for a learning experience, but DR2, combined with a gadget like a SATA dock, has a high probability of getting most of your data back.

I speak from experience. I recently had a Hitachi drive (that was partitioned) experience a partition becoming corrupted, and that partition had 17,000+ mp3 files on it. It seemed like NOTHING would work to get the partition "fixed" (drive would lock up the Mac when connected, wouldn't even mount on the desktop). My ultimate solution to recovery was to actually re-initialize the drive into a single partition (of course, this "wiped out" any chance of finding the lost files via the Finder), and then use DR2 to scavenge the entire drive. It took several hours, but DR2 _FOUND_ most of the lost files, although the folder hierarchy was lost. I'm currently in the process of regrouping the orphaned mp3's (amazingly, iTunes recognized and grouped most of the files). And when I'm done, I'm going to get a second drive, and "dupe" the contents of one to the other regularly.

This is another reason why having a second "bare" drive and the docking station around will be a good investment for you.

Again, if it was just a "mis-initialization", there is a high probability that you CAN get your files back. But it will take work, time, and will cost you the price of DR2 _and_ a second drive and a docking station. But you can do it.

- John

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Fishrrman gave a good summary. Data recovery isn't cheap, especially if you don't already have a second scrap drive. However, once you purchase that scrap drive for recovering files onto, you'll be able to use it as a backup drive, which you should have been doing already :)

If you simply reformatted, you should be able to recover almost all of your files.

It's also important that for the drive you need to recover from, make sure it is not in use until you need to recover from it. So for internal drives, that means shut down your computer. For external ones, physically disconnect it completely. This is to prevent the OS from writing to it (if it is mounted), which could cause data to be overwritten.