Data recovery utility?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macmesser, Dec 21, 2012.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

My Macbook's System partition is corrupt and won't boot or even mount. I originally thought I could boot from an external drive and copy over the files I need but since the partition won't mount from disk utility I doubt anything as simple will be possible. My next thought is to install a new system on an external drive and work on the corrupt volume from there. Is anyone familiar with a utility that might let me recover data in known folders? Mostly PSD files. The drive itself tests ok and the recovery partition boots. Possibly the problem is due to a volume optimization I did a week or so ago, but the machine seemed ok and even faster after. Before the partition quit mounting TTPro found volume structure errors, as did disk utility.

Anything I can do myself or should I get a data recovery pro?

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Have you tried using disk utility to repair the hard drive? That might be fix the volume problem and allow you to mount the partition.

I wish I had more helpful information, but I don't know what options you have for a partition that won't mount.

Good luck

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Was in the same situation as you, I used a program called Diskwarrior which recovered everything for me.

4. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash or are on unrecognisable partitions or HDDs or on accidentally formatted partitions or HDDs, you can use

• Data Rescue 3 - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • FileSalvage - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (99 USD)
    • DiskDrill - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (79 USD)
    • Nice To Recover - trial lets you scan for free, but recovery needs a purchase (69.95 USD)

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Replace with SSD. Connect HDD to USB-sata connector and transfer data

6. macmesser, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Got my data back with Data Rescue but it looks like I'll need to do a clean install.

----------

DiskWarrior rocks. It recovered my partition nicely, after I used Data Rescue to back up everything. It repaired the volume but not my problem, since it looks like a reinstall is needed. If I hadn't been neglecting my normal DiskWarrior preventive maintenance rebuilds every few weeks I most likely wouldn't have had the problem. Safest utility I've used.

7. macmesser, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I wound up upgrading my copy of Data Rescue 2 and backing up my data files to a USB drive. Everything was there, thankfully. Then I used DiskWarrior, which asked for a second go at it after it failed to rewrite the directory the first time. Second time fixed it but apparently not the system files. So now I have a drive with a good partition map, good directories, and bad system files. Data Rescue 3 is a good recovery utility. They seem to do it right, but I couldn't compare it to the others, which I'm not familiar with. Both times I've used it my files were found.

8. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Not a bad idea.